They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PreEl7 and HD - who can help give me an introduction?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: PreEl7 and HD - who can help give me an introduction?

Postby Paul LS » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:42 am

When I say burning to a standard DVD I mean burning a high definition DVD with menus... the equivalent of HD-DVD but burnt to a standard DVD rather than a blue laser DVD. As Chuck says.... if you dont have a Blu-ray burner or player then your best bet is to burn a HD-DVD that your HD-DVD can play... but instead of burning a blue laser HD-DVD disc, which I assume you dont have a burner for, you can burn the HD-DVD format to a standard DVD that will play exactly as if it was a true HD-DVD... except that on a standard DVD you can only fit about 20 minutes of HDV MPEG2. Hope that is clear?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UKPal » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:56 am

By Jove, I think I've got it!!

Thanks Paul.
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PreEl7 and HD - who can help give me an introduction?

Postby artbytes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:17 am

The information on exporting to H.264 and then using Ulead Movie Factory to burn to a DVD is exactly what I'm after. However, I have one big frustration. My HD Sanyo camera shoots 1920x1080p or 720p movies. I would really like to keep those formats. Is it now possible to export to h.264, but in 1920x1080p or 720p from PE7, and then burn to DVD in that format, as well?

Thanks so much for the info.

PS - my new Dell came with a Blu-ray burner/player. However, the discs are so expensive, I'd rather use standard DVD discs and play them on the player.
artbytes
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:54 am

Hi artbytes welcome to the forum.

I use/burn interlaced material. However you can export from PE7 as H.264 1920x1080i at 25/30fps or 1920x1080p at 24fps. HDV MPEG2 can be exported as 1920x1080p 25/30fps or as 720p.... as I just burn interlaced material I will need to check about the burning capability of ULEAD Moviefactory. I will report back shortly.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Paul,

Not sure if this should be a separate thread. I am using PE3. I captured HDV from my Sony HC1. After editing this I tried to export to the iPod format H.264. I tried to change the setting to 1440x1080 but PE3 will not allow this. Does that mean that only PE7 will support the H.234 @ 1440x1080 setting.

After reading your post I purchased the Movie Factory 6.0 Plus so I can burn HD to regular DVD.

By finding a way of getting HD on to regular DVD I think you might have opened up a Pandora’s box of questions….Thank you

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 am

I dont know if PE3 will allow you to export as ipod to 1440x1080 resolution, unfortunately I have uninstalled PE3, however I doubt if it will. Why not export as HDV MPEG 2 1440x1080???
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 am

Does that format HD MPEG2 1440x1080 convert to H.264 in Movie Factory? My goal is to burn HD video to regular DVD for viewing on a Blue Ray player.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:12 pm

You would need to burn an AVCHD DVD in ULEAD DVD Moviefactory. It will accept HDV MPEG2 at 1440x1080 but will re-render it during burning. Do you have a Blu-ray player Sidd? Currently I burn and view on my HDTV using a software Blu-ray player via the HDMI connection on my home theater PC graphics card.

I wonder how long Blu-ray will be around for?? Certainly here in europe it does not seem to be making much headway, even now that it is the only high definition format. The quality of picture from up-rezzed standard DVD players seems to satisfy most folks. I think if it sales of players do not pick up much this holiday season then I doubt if it will ever take much market share from standard DVDs here in europe.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Apologies - divergence from thread original topic. :???:

Paul LS wrote:I wonder how long Blu-ray will be around for?? Certainly here in europe it does not seem to be making much headway, even now that it is the only high definition format. The quality of picture from up-rezzed standard DVD players seems to satisfy most folks. I think if it sales of players do not pick up much this holiday season then I doubt if it will ever take much market share from standard DVDs here in europe.

I agree. In Europe I think that there are a number of other relevant factors holding back mass uptake now that the format war is over.

One is the price of BD players when compared to good quality upscaling DVD players.
Secondly, the price of pre-recorded BD discs when compared to standard DVDs. Why pay (on average) 2 or more x the DVD price?
Thirdly, a lot of (relatively expensive) BD discs are just re-issues of existing DVDs so why buy them if one already has the DVD?
Fourthly, TV hard drive recorders for timeshifting TV viewing are not available with a BD in the mainstream marketplace.

As an aside, to really see the BD difference I understand that one needs a 1080p TV. Most folk to date have 1080i TVs so they will never really see the BD difference. And it is not as though there is a glut of 1080p content available to make it worthwhile spending the extra to get a 1080p TV.

I can't help leaning toward the theory that the window of opportunity for BD as a distribution medium is finite and is closing quickly. As bandwidth becomes more commoditised there will be a surge in video-on-demand services so why pay premium prices for BD now?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:45 pm

Paul,

I do not have a Blue Ray player, but my friend does so I wanted to send family video DVD to them in HD. Your solution was exactly what I was wanting to do.

I agree that with the up-scaling DVD players there is no hurry to get a Blue Ray Player. Not to mention having to replace all my DVD’s. Unless Sony offered Blue Ray players for 99.95USD then I would be interested.

So here is my business model to Sony or Netflix or whoever. You join their club for $20.00 per month (1-2 year membership) and get the Blue Ray Player for $50.00. To exchange your DVD for a Blue Ray DVD you mail in $10 and your copy of the DVD you want on Blue Ray……….

I think at some point everything is going to be flash-memory based, or much to my dismay everything will go to cloud computing and every device will be connected to the cloud. You just plug in you USB stick to identify yourself and the net will hold it all.

SIdd
sidd finch

Postby artbytes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:50 am

Paul LS wrote:Hi artbytes welcome to the forum.

I use/burn interlaced material. However you can export from PE7 as H.264 1920x1080i at 25/30fps or 1920x1080p at 24fps. HDV MPEG2 can be exported as 1920x1080p 25/30fps or as 720p.... as I just burn interlaced material I will need to check about the burning capability of ULEAD Moviefactory. I will report back shortly.

Thanks, Paul. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you find out about the options in ULEAD Moviefactory. I think that there are more and more TV's are 1080p, and my camera is, too. I hope that the software manufacturers follow along soon.
artbytes
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 pm

From what I can see Artbytes it will looks like it will only burn an intrerlaced hi-def DVD.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to PRE Version 7