They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PreEl7 and HD - who can help give me an introduction?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

PreEl7 and HD - who can help give me an introduction?

Postby UKPal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Okay -so here goes! I like to think of myself as pretty proficient in the old movie making - heck, even my 'work' have asked me to produce corporate stuff - which has been very well received (but then again, anything half-decent looks "amazing" to the uninitiated!). I've also been hanging around muvipix and the Adobe forums for quite a while and taught many folk the joys of Premiere Elements.

However, I've long had a Sony-HC5 (HD miniDV camcorder) and a HiDef television and would love to produce HD videos for playback on it. I haven't yet got a Blu-Ray Burner or Blu-Ray player (I've got a HD-DVD player but that fact is probably best glossed over!) but am thinking that with the advent of PreEl7's AVCHD support, I could perhaps get HD material onto a standard DVD easier than ever before with PreEl....is that a correct assumption?

Looking at some posts both here and on the Adobe forums, it appears that some extra software might be required (why, I'm not too certain and if anyone would care to explain, that would be wonderful!). I have Nero 8, if that is of any use? So, what I'm looking for is an explanation, if someone is kind enough to help me out, of how I can get HD material onto DVD. I know there'll be time i.e. data storage limitations but 20 mins or so of my home movies is quite enough for anyone, no matter what the quality!

So, can anyone give me a gentle introduction and perhaps give credence to my (probably incorrect) thinking that AVCHD support makes this easier, even though my source material is miniDV?

I hope that by answering me, others will also be helped....now there's an incentive! ;)

All advice and help will be gratefully received...
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PreEl7 and HD - who can help give me an introduction?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:47 pm

.....what I'm looking for is an explanation, if someone is kind enough to help me out, of how I can get HD material onto DVD. I know there'll be time i.e. data storage limitations but 20 mins or so of my home movies is quite enough for anyone, no matter what the quality!

I too will be interested in this.

Although I have an LG BD burner in my system and have a Panasonic BD player so that I can enjoy HD video at home, that doesn't help me produce HD material that others are able to watch on 'ordinary' equipment.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I know that Paul puts HDV onto a DVD, he gets about 20 minutes worth. He has posted the process a number of times in the past.
Paul, do you have a link around somewhere to one of your posts ?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Maybe this is an item for the 'Articles' section(?)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby UKPal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:00 pm

Chuck The Master:
I know that Paul puts HDV onto a DVD, he gets about 20 minutes worth. He has posted the process a number of times in the past.
Paul, do you have a link around somewhere to one of your posts ?

Thanks Chuck and yes, I think I've read them and thought - sounds fantastic (as advice always is from my 'neighbour' Paul LS) but quite complicated. By all means repost the link Paul but what I'd really love to know is are things any easier now with PreEl7?

BTW - render times are not important to me - I'm patient when I have to be!

P.S. I guess that people with camcorders that record to mini-DVD discs get the most benefit from AVCHD support?
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:15 pm

AVCHD is the format used for high definition video recorded from a flash or hard drive camcorder, not Mini DVDs.
Not sure there even is a HDV DVD camcorder yet.

AVCHD and M2t are very similar, M2t is the high definition video format you get from a MiniDV tape camcorder. They are both HDV or High Definition Video, just from two different types of camcorders. And just in case anyone gets confused, AVCHD and M2t have nothing to do with Blu-Ray either, that is a whole separate process. Either type of HDV file can be authored to a Blu-Ray disc.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Things have changed since the HD-DVD format disappeared... that is what I used to use... HDV MPEG2 burnt with menus to standard DVD. You can still do this if you have a HD-DVD player using the same program as below. But since HD-DVD has disappeared I have decided tp move to HD AVCHD on standard DVD... which is part of the Blu-ray spec. So most Blu-ray players will play HD AVCHD DVDs. Unfortunately PE7 does not burn this format... it will only burn to Blu-ray discs. So my work flow is to export from PE7 to H.264 1440x1080 format... then I use ULEAD DVD Moviefactory (£50) to burn the video with smart rendering (so no quality loss) to the AVCHD disc format (with menus etc) to standard DVD. You can also use Nero 8 to burn AVCHD discs... however Nero 8 does not smart-render the files from PE7 so they will be re-rendered.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UKPal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Chuck, Paul - Many thanks!

So, Paul....
then I use ULEAD DVD Moviefactory (£50) to burn the video with smart rendering (so no quality loss) to the AVCHD disc format (with menus etc) to standard DVD. You can also use Nero * to burn AVCHD discs... however Nero * does not smart-render the files from PE7 so they will be re-rendered.

is there an inherent quality loss when re-rendering in Nero, do you know? And is 8 okay to do this in?

And if using ULEAD DVD Moviefactory, can I just import the file edited and produced by PreEl (using the settings you mention) straight into the ULEAD program and export to DVD without the need for any further tweaking? And when you say "with menus etc" - do you mean menus from PreEl (I presume not)?
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ron » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 pm

I think that this does deserve an article, both explaining the different formats "&" sample workflow to get it on standard DVD.

Paul? When/if you get time? If we could just pull all of your related posts together.... that would be one fine article!
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul LS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Actually if you use Nero 8 you will probably need to buy the Bluray/HD plugin... I bought it for producing AVCHD discs, I can not remember now if it is actually needed for producing AVCHD discs or if it added extra features. I will check. I note that Nero 9 has just been released. There is quality loss if the files from PE7 are re-rendered in Nero 8 but from what I have heard it is hardly noticeable.

With Ulead DVD Moviefactory 6+ (note the "plus"... also note DVD Moviefactory 7 has just been released) you can just import the video file from PE7... add markers and DVD menus (from within DVD Moviefactory) and burn either a HD-DVD disc, to standard DVD (which might be the way to go if you have a HD-DVD player) or a AVCHD disc to standard DVD... in which case you would need a Blu-Ray player to play the disc. I play either HD-DVD or AVCHD discs on my home theatre PC with a software player connected to my HDTV via a HDMI connection on my graphics card.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UKPal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm lost!!!! :lol: (but not not-appreciative of your efforts Paul!)
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:43 pm

UKPal wrote:I've got a HD-DVD player

Considering your statement above, then Paul's suggestion of

Paul wrote:With Ulead DVD Moviefactory 6+ (note the "plus"... also note DVD Moviefactory 7 has just been released) you can just import the video file from PE7... add markers and DVD menus (from within DVD Moviefactory) and burn either a HD-DVD disc, to standard DVD (which might be the way to go if you have a HD-DVD player)

is probably the way to go, but you will need additional software it seems.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UKPal » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 am

....okay fellas....I think I'm getting there but one question at least remains, why would the fact that I have a HD-DVD player make burning to a standard DVD any more "the way to go" than if I didn't?

Burning to a HD-DVD disc, now that I can understand the benefit of, given my HD-DVD player.
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:08 am

If you burn to Blu-Ray then you will need a Blu-Ray player, that's all.
No need to spend the money if you all ready have an HD Player, it's a good way to start at least.

Paul wrote:or a AVCHD disc to standard DVD... in which case you would need a Blu-Ray player to play the disc.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UKPal » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:27 am

I'm thinking Paul, and I may be wrong, that you maybe put the brackets in the wrong place, hence my confusion:

you can just import the video file from PE7... add markers and DVD menus (from within DVD Moviefactory) and burn either a HD-DVD disc, to standard DVD (which might be the way to go if you have a HD-DVD player) or a AVCHD disc to standard DVD

Did you mean "either a HD-DVD disc (which might be the way to go if you have a HD-DVD player)..."?

If not, then I think and with respect, my question is still valid:

Why would burning to a standard DVD be the way to go if I've got a HD-DVD player?

Anyone else think that this conversation would be easier face-to-face?!! :lol:
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 7