They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saving projects to external hard drive ...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Saving projects to external hard drive ...

Postby Louizalass » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:47 am

Hi there

I'm new and a newbie as far as video software jargon goes, so I apologise in advance!

We've had PE7 for some years now and only used it on and off. Now, I've decided to get to grips with the 'projects' my husband uploaded to our old computer (which now has a totally full disk). Most of the projects he's saved are edited but just need a bit of fine-tuning (titles added etc) and I wanted to then burn them to disk, save them on my external hard drive then delete them from the old computer.

I found some info on the web, whereby you create a special folder on the external hard drive with another folder within that which would have the name of the current project. I then select 'new project' from PE7 then in the 'save' bar, I select the external hard drive and relevant folders within that. I then go to 'edit' on the PE7 workspace screen and select preferences/scratch disks and ensure that 'same as project' is selected for all the settings within that ('save as project' seems to be the default, anyway).

From 'get media' I find the project I want from the 7.0 folder and then after further editing where necessary, I save it as whatever name I gave the project folder on the external hard drive (EHD). There is no available internal hard drive disk space on the main computer for me to burn the disk from here so I need to upload the project from my EHD to my laptop (which also has PE7 installed). But after selecting the project from the EHD to edit on the laptop PE7, all I get are frames with red screens with Japanese writing on them!

I discovered that - back on the old computer - by using the 'share' button and selecting mpeg and saving to the EHD, when I open it up on my laptop I can get the project - but it only appears as a single frame which means I cannot do any further editing if I wanted to. But at least I can burn to disk.

I am thinking about getting a new desktop computer so future project wouldn't be a problem - but can anyone advise how I can best transfer a project from the main computer to external hard drive - to edit on my PE7 on my laptop?

Sorry for this being so long!
Louizalass
New User
New User

Re: Saving projects to external hard drive ...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:04 pm

He, Louiza. Welcome to Muvipix!

The main thing to consider when archiving your video projects is whether or not you want to save them in an editable form or you just want to save the finished pieces.

If you're just saving finished video for future reference, you can use the appropriate Share option to save your video file.

However, if you want to save the project file for later editing or tweaking, you also need to save the media files included in your project! Otherwise, you end up saving a project file with nothing connected to it.

So what is your goal in archiving your video? Are you just saving finished video pieces -- or are you trying to archive projects so that they can be edited again later? This is the key thing we need to know before we can make any specific recommendations.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm

With the cost of large capicity hard drives being so cheap, why not just save everything to an external drive. It then allows you to have everything in case you want to go back.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Louizalass » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks for replying!

Well, I want to do both! Most of the projects currently on the hard drive of the old pc still need editing so I want to save their current state to external hard drive and transfer to laptop to carry on editing - then burn them to disk.

However, I think there are a couple of projects which are fully edited so now just need to be transferred over to the EHD /laptop/burned to disk.

Lou
Louizalass
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:52 am

If you think you'll want to go back into a project and tinker with its editing a bit, you want to archive the entire project and its media files. The best way to do that is to select the Project Archiver tool under the Premiere Elements File menu.

This will save a copy of the project file and all of its connected media to any location you designate. You can then remove the original files from your C drive (assuming your media files aren't a part of another video project).

This means you'll be saving some pretty big files! But, as Sidd says, you can pick up a 1 or even 2 terrabyte external drive now for around $100. And, if you plan to possibly re-edit your projects later, this is the smartest investment you can make.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Louizalass » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks, Steve. I recently bought a 500gb external hard drive so that will have to do! But I bought it with the express purpose of using it to savework on my projects. I also have a Seagate external hard drive which still has lots of memory left. Once I've burned a few copies of my projects to disks, I intend deleting them. They are only vids taken on vacation trips and because we keep the original camcorder tapes, there's no need to clutter up a hard drive with videos. There's only a certain number of times one would watch these vids, anyway!

Meanwhile, so save the vids to edit, I shall try the archiving tool. I just go to file/archive do I? Is the process self-evident or can you give me a brief outline of the steps to follow?

I do appreciate your help!
Louizalass
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 am

Go to File/Project Archiver. It should be pretty self-evident.

The only choice you have to make is whether to archive every media clip that's been imported into your project or just the clips used on your timeline.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7