They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Stereo vs 5.1 project setting

Premiere Pro discussions.

Stereo vs 5.1 project setting

Postby SteveG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:53 pm

I have some m2ts video that was recorded with 5.1 audio. In the Audio Preferences for Defaulttrack format it was set to 5.1. When I add the file to the timeline it put the video portion of the file on track 1 but the audio portion on track 4. There is a little 5.1 in the upper right corner of that track header for track 4.

I changed the Audio Preference to Stereo and started a new project. Now when I add the file it put three audio portion in the timeline on track 1, 2, and 3.

Can anyone elaborate what is happening? I think I understand the first part of the 5.1 going to the 5.1 track. But why would the stereo setting create three separate audio tracks instead of the 5.1 audio?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Stereo vs 5.1 project setting

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:44 pm

5.1 surround sound contains multiple channels... three front audio channels, two rear and a low-frequency channel. With the default stereo set up PPro has 3 stereo tracks, perhaps three of the multiple channels are being placed on these 3 stereo tracks. What happens if you add more stereo channels?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SteveG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

I added four more audio tracks and the same thing happened as in the first picture above.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 pm

A couple other things I found. Even if I unlink the audio to the video I cannot move the audio to a stereo track.

In the Project panel I modifed the audio and changed it to Stereo. After that I still get what displays in the second picture with the three tracks.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Well I have somewhat of a solution.

After I switch the audio to stereo I unlinked it from the video. Then I deleted the two lower audio tracks from the second picture. I am assuming those two are the surround tracks? I don't need them because I will be getting video from other sources that will not have surround. Then I linked the video back up to the audio.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Steve, why dont you want to use the 5.1 audio track? Why use stereo? If you want the 5.1 track to be the first audio track you can add the clip, the audio will go to the 5.1 track. You can then delete the unused stereo tracks. Then you can add additional 5.1 or stereo tracks below the initial 5.1 track.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SteveG » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 am

I will be getting source material that does not have 5.1 surround. It would be useless as it wouldn't match. Especially since it will be for the same scenes.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:33 am

Steve, are you sure that mixed stereo and 5.1 sound will be discernable to the average viewer?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby SteveG » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:44 am

You might have a point there John. This will be a DVD that will be sold through a distribution company. However I don't know enough about the stereo vs 5.1 as far as how that would affect the DVD.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro