They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PrPro serious errors

Premiere Pro discussions.

PrPro serious errors

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:51 pm

PrPro has had many crashes the past week with "has to close, a serious error..." Today, crashed about 7 times and sometimes without the warning. A couple of times it was during play back or just moving the CTI with no editing.

Did a clean up & defrag & scan up to date, renamed the Projects each time and a restart.

The only thing that may be causing this is that I updated to Qtime 7.6.7 two days before this all started to happen.

How do I uninstall Qtime? Control panel>Remove Hardware? The Qtime that is listed is 3.0 in that panel. Is this the correct one?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: PrPro serious errors

Postby Peru » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:01 pm

If it's XP:
control panel > add or remove programs

Did you try a System Restore to a point before that?
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 pm

It could be a corrupt project file. Be sure to do a Save As and then export what you can in case you need to start over. Quicktime is up to version 9.?? so 3 would be very, very old.
Remove any old versions using Add Remove programs like Peru lists above, then go to the Quicktime site and download the most recent version.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

It is XP and I should have said Add or Remove Programs. Should I Remove the one that says Qtime 3.0?

And I didn't try a system restore. Should I try that first? If I do, does that effect any programs that I installed recently? ....Updated Qtime on 8/24 and installed a new program on 8/28.

Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Chuck, the only thing on my timeline is a few psds & a Qtime intro exported from Pro. When this started to happen, it was during another project which everything on the timeline worked fine until 2 days after the Qtime update.

If I have version 7.6.7 then why does 3.0 show up on the list?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:18 pm

momoffduty wrote: Should I Remove the one that says Qtime 3.0?
There should be only one Quicktim.
Maybe the update got corrupted.

And I didn't try a system restore. Should I try that first? If I do, does that effect any programs that I installed recently? ....Updated Qtime on 8/24 and installed a new program on 8/28.
If you do a System Restore, it will "uninstall" (not really, but it's my best description of what happens) anything installed after the Restore Point.
Thanks.

I would try a System Restore. Then if things are OK, I would reinstall the other program.
What program was it?

And of course, it could be a corrupt file like Chuck suggested.
Does it happen with other files that you know are OK?
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Oops, Quicktime is in version 7, not 9 :oops:

I have 7.6.6 and no problems so it maybe is the Quicktime update that caused the problem.
Try the system restore first like Peru says, that will probably do the trick.

After you are done check and see if it still shows Quicktime version 3 in the Add Remove Programs.
If it does I would remove it and then do a clean install of Quicktime if necessary.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:44 pm

I did the restore & the 2 newly installed programs are gone. PS & Andreas Mosaic. Will install those again. The Qtime still shows in the Control Panel Add/Remove list as 3.0. Will uninstall and then install 7.6.6

The Qtime animation export is missing...still see it in Windows, but won't play since "blah, the compressor etc". But, no problem I'll just export it from AE again using the Qtime 7.6.6 compressor.

Opened up the project from last week and everything is still in place. The Project from yesterday/today had to link up missing files and skip the previews, etc.

Thanks for the help. I may be posting again tomorrow if the above doesn't work.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:18 pm

momoffduty wrote:The only thing that may be causing this is that I updated to Qtime 7.6.7 two days before this all started to happen?

mom, I ALWAYS create a System Restore point before making ANY change to my OS -- including Windows updates -- and there have been a number of times that restoring my system to that point has saved me.

I read somewhere that removing a program may not actually remove ALL that was installed, so I do not rely on that.

System Restore does not touch any of your data. All it does is restore your OS and applications/programs to the condition they were in prior to making the change.

In addition to creating frequent restore points, I also make regular mirror images of my C drive, using Acronis True Image 11. If ever System Restore should fail to correct a problem, I have the mirror image to fall back on.

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:13 am

George Tyndall wrote:
momoffduty wrote:The only thing that may be causing this is that I updated to Qtime 7.6.7 two days before this all started to happen?

mom, I ALWAYS create a System Restore point before making ANY change to my OS -- including Windows updates -- and there have been a number of times that restoring my system to that point has saved me.
This almost always works, however, I did have a situation a few days ago in which I downloaded an ethernet card driver and a video card driver update and ended up with a blue screen error. I went into Safe Mode and tried to do a System Restore, but I found that all of my Restore Points were gone! :pull: Fortunately, I had just made an Acronis image of the drive and used the Acronis boot disc to restore the system from the image.
I read somewhere that removing a program may not actually remove ALL that was installed, so I do not rely on that.
Yes, there will always be some leftover registry entries. I usually use Revouninstaller http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?que ... r&tag=srch (the free version, not Pro) when uninstalling, but you must be careful or you can easily delete needed registry entries. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm works well, too. I've never gone wrong with it.

::wav::
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:01 am

It worked!!! Thanks again to the invaluable advice. And for some odd reason the AE export that I couldn't play now plays.

As for "Save As" on the projects when crashes occur: When naming a new project, I add v1. So the name would be for example "babyRC_v1". That way when I have to save as because of crashes or just for insurance the number is already started. Learned this the hard way when an early on project had copy project, copy copy copy project, etc. In AE there is an option to increment and save. That would be a nice feature in PrEl & PrPro.

Thanks again for the help!!!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Premiere Pro