They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Elements - Pro compatibility

Premiere Pro discussions.

Elements - Pro compatibility

Postby tex » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Regarding interchanging project files.

I am presenting a concept to a private school of working alongside kids on self-education projects. They will use PE and I will create tutorial projects and templates using nested sequences from various projects.

Can I expect a PPro project exported with nested sequences to display on the timeline of Elements (un-nested of course) ...don't let me down Adobe (fingers crossed!)

- paul
tex
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Elements - Pro compatibility

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:57 pm

You can't open Pro projects with Premiere Elements -- and I wouldn't recommend opening Elements projects with Premiere Pro. The two programs are different enough that their projects files aren't interchangeable.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tex » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:08 pm

ouch, thanks for the speedy reply steve.

salespeople told me otherwise ...durn marketeers!
tex
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 am

Tex,

In my tests (PE4 & PrP-CS2), PE Projects Opened with very few problems (did not use Themes, or similar, just straight editing with Titles and Transitions). Seems that one Title might have had animation done in PE, and I got one error, but it still Opened fine and I had to correct one spot - it even gave me the TimeCode to do that.

Not so going the other direction. First try was using the PRPROJ file in PE4. Got the error, "This Project was created in Premiere Pro. Use that program to Open it." There was some reference to "You da fool guy... " or something similar. I then renamed the PRPROJ file to PREL, and PE4 crashed on me. However, it did not call me a "fool," before it died.

Now, there are a couple of possible workarounds, and they rely on Exporting as DV-AVI from each program, to the other. I know that you want to show the students the Timelines and the various aspects of the actual editing, so just the Exported DV-AVI's will not offer that. Two ways around that: do a tutorial in a program like Camtasia to do a screen-capture of you working in PrP, and Export as an AV file for the students to play. They would see your Timeline and the movements that you go through to edit, plus you can add narration. The second would be to contact Adobe about Educational Site-Licenses for PrP. Might not be as expensive, as one would imagine.

Good luck, and it sounds like a wonderful project,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:37 pm

It's not just the project file either. You mentioned using nested sequences. PE does not support nested sequences, among other things. The user interface of PE is diverging away from PPro too. You need to be on the same footing as your students. Either go all PPro or all PE. Don't know how much an Educational site license would be, but it's worth checking out.

You actually believed what a salesman said??? :-8 [I am joking, but some salemen will tell you anything to make the sale while others just don't have a clue]

Seriously though, it does sound like a wonderful project and I wish you luck!
Bob

Postby tex » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Fine replies all ...thank you very much.

A little compatibility, the workarounds, and camtasia will pull me through I think.

-paul
tex
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 pm

I can't resist - true salesperson story.

One of my business clients recently called up have me come over and switch their network from Road Runner cable Internet to DSL Internet. I was concerned that the RR was 5Mb/sec and the best I thought DSL in that area could do was 1.5Mb/sec.

Turns out the salesperson, when asked about the lower bandwidth, told my client she would solve the problem by giving them THREE 1.5 connections and three different phone lines! (And, for you techies, no aggregation.)

That means that the maximum anybody would get would be 1.5 instead of 5, and that their LAN was shot because now we had individual PCs hooked directly to separate DSL modems (i.e. 3 LANs and 3 DHCP servers) so there could be no file or print sharing. What a mess!

I called and spoke to the salesperson directly - clueless.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro