They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Analog to DVD Conversion

Premiere Pro discussions.

Analog to DVD Conversion

Postby dvmarion » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 pm

I am trying to upload video from a Sony Hi8 Camcorder into my Windows Vista computer through an internal Hauppauge TV capture card. Nothing seems to recognize the camera, though. Well, I did attempt a cheap downloaded app which actually displayed the contents of the video inside the application. But it was very limited and also before I could act I suffered from some intrusion software application and had to restore my machine to its factory defaults. Then during an info search on Adobe.com, I found out about this forum .

Can anyone tell me how I might capture the analog video from my Sony Hi8 or from any other VCR or analog video camera (device) using my TV Tuner Card?

Thanks in advance!
David
dvmarion
New User
New User

Re: Analog to DVD Conversion

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi David, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

You can use the software that came with the card, that's about all the hope you have.

I tried the capture/tv tuner card route a few years ago, just about drove myself crazy trying to make it work.
Best of luck to you though. If you would like to hear some alternatives just let us know :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi David, welcome to the forum. If you want to capture from your TV card then I would advise another program... such as Corel VideoStudio which will recognise your TV tuner card, download the trial and give it a try. Ideally you want to capture using the DV-AVI option (processor converts to DV-AVI on capture) which can be used in any video editor. As Chuck hints, if you want to use Premiere Elements you really need to use a dedicated analogue to DV-AVi capture unit which captures over firewire. Such as the ADS PyroLink or Canopus ADVC devices.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby dvmarion » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks guys for the quick response. I'll look into the "Corel VideoStudio" product to access the Hi8. I'm really a puppeteer and there is a show that was taped a while ago on Hi8 that I would really like to have: Thus the excursion into analog video conversion. I have some VHSs too, but I think I might need to go the Canopus route or something else. I have acquired a lot of the Canopus video conversion tools in the past so maybe the Canopus device might work best with those and Premiere.

If you have any other suggestions as to best scenarios for video editing and/or configuration, I welcome ALL input!

Thanks for your help!

David
dvmarion
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm

The Canopus Converter would be an excellent choice and will serve you well with no headaches :)

Here is a good topic on that subject
viewtopic.php?p=41598#p41598

And here is an article of mine from a few years ago
http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/sou ... _10-05.htm
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby dvmarion » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Chuck!

I read your article and also the piece you did on the Canopus ADVC110. GREAT INFO!! My system is great (except that it's an HP-- Ha!) It's a Dual Core with 2G of RAM 3 400 GB Hard Drives. I have a Hauppauge TV Tuner/Capture Card w/ a bunch of very useful bells and whistles. I haven't checked on the pricing of the Canopus ADVC110 nor where to acquire one. But I'll start looking into that today!

My old system was great running Windows XP; where I was using an ATI Capture card. The pinnacle software that came with it was great and captured anything from anywhere, both analog as well as digital! But XP kept crashing and I got fed up and purchased a new system. Unfortunately, The AGP card was useless in any new system, as at that point they stopped making motherboards that could use them. Also, with Vista loaded on the new system a lot of my other hardware and printer were not compatible. Whew!

Anyway, all that's old news. And I'm on to the Canopus! Thanks for your help! God bless you and yours!

David
dvmarion
New User
New User

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 pm

David,

I know that you have only one Hi8 that you are looking to capture, but if you do get around to the VHS tapes and have a bunch, especially older ones, you might take a look at the Canopus 300 unit. It offered more Timebase control than the 110 did, and was not THAT much more expensive. That could save a lot of color correction and video noise problems down the line. Most of that can be done in post, but if you have much to do, your time will pay the difference in price.

I feel your pain, regarding newer hardware and newer OS's with legacy HW & SW. I had to build a special computer just to run some old 3D painting programs. It had to have non-NT OS (read pre XP) and only 512MB physical RAM. Everything else on it was screamingly fast for the day, but I had to have those two limits just to run the programs.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:01 pm

To Chuck, Paul and Bill:

My CyberLink software has the ability to burn a DVD directly from a MiniDV tape being that is being played on my HV30.

If I wished to make a DVD from one of my 8mm tapes, could I get a satisfactory result if I simply played the 8mm tape on my TV and recorded the images and sound with my HV30 then used the MiniDV tape to create the DVD with CyberLink?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 pm

dvmarion wrote:I haven't checked on the pricing of the Canopus ADVC110 nor where to acquire one. But I'll start looking into that today!

Here's a good place to start :)
http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco-20

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:24 am

The free opensource VirtualDub will capture from capture cards. You'll need a DV encoder, such as Mainconcept DV Codec (about $60), or the free Panasonic DV codec if you want to capture direct to DV-AVI, otherwise you'll have to pick something else that's on your machine. There's even a version of VirtualDub that has VCR program settings for timed recordings. I passed that on my journeys but didn't make note of the web address.

The link is on this page, but you might be interested in the article:

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2003/03/vidcap.ars

My computer is fast enough that I don't need to use the VirtualDub-VCR version to avoid sync issues or dropped frames. He also recommends using the YUY2 capture pin setting when capturing to Huffy YUV codec. But I capture to DV-AVI and found that using the RGB24 capture pin gives better colors. You may not have a choice, it depends on your capture card. In my setup, I can pick either NTSC_J or NTSC_J_M or NTSC_M. I pick NTSC_J_M. I have a very inexpensive KWorld PVR card that some say is junk, but works for me, plus it has a procamp. But even if it didn't have a procamp, VirtualDub does. Enough rambling.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro