They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Encore Q's

Premiere Pro discussions.

Re: Encore Q's

Postby hpharley90 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Glad to hear you got it working mom. :)

mom I know what you mean.
That's all I use now to connect everything when putting a project together is the pick whip!
Audio,video,chapters,menus,whatever, the whole build is so easy for me now with that feature.

I couldn't figure out how to use what I think is called chapter play lists.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Richard Pouliot wrote:I couldn't figure out how to use what I think is called chapter play lists.

I am still planning on a Encore Play List tutorial Richard, sorry it is taking so long.
Hopefully I will do it for July [-o<
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:42 am

Encore 1.5 Play List tutorials!

A few very good tutorials can be found on the following site!
http://www.doogs-tutorials.com/encore%201.5%20.html

Encore 2 Tutorials can be found here!
http://www.doogs-tutorials.com/encore%202.html

And a few things for Photoshop!
http://www.doogs-tutorials.com/photoshop.html

Lee :)
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:48 am

Richard, that pick whip is handy. It all makes more sense to me in the Flow Chart panel to start and later check each item in the property panels. I would also like to learn the playlist and the auto chapters, one in the same?

Lee, thanks for the links to the tutorials. Been watching some on Lynda. Sorta tuturialed out at the moment. Will wait till Chuck's comes out. The advantage of watching Chuck's is that his tutorials are more personalized to the members here. After answering a 1,000 questions, he pretty much knows what we want. When I first joined last year and asking a ton of questions, I thought Chuck & Steve were hacked into my computer :mrgreen: They seemed to know exactly what I was doing wrong! Maybe the next book should be "Most Common Mistakes".
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Gooder » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:55 am

Yes, I agree! :)

But if you are needing your playlist setting up now then the links I provided will show you everything you need to know!
I'm sure Chuck will not mind :lol:

Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks for the links Lee, the more the better as far as I'm concerned.
I have to watch things 2 or 3 times before I really get it sometimes.
Multiple tutorials on the same thing will most likely give you a few different ways to do something, and I always learn a few other things in the process too :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:19 am

momoffduty wrote:I thought Chuck & Steve were hacked into my computer :mrgreen: They seemed to know exactly what I was doing wrong!

:cool: Only the Shadow knows 8-[

momoffduty wrote:Maybe the next book should be "Most Common Mistakes".

No more books ](*,)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I am still planning on a Encore Play List tutorial Richard, sorry it is taking so long.

Chuck no problems with me. :-D
I'm in no rush.
To be quite honest I really like using the flow chart , pick whip and properties panels.
I understand that work flow and I'm having no problems. (knock on wood) img0280

But I would not pass up a chance to understand play lists. :lol:
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Cheryl,

One of the misconceptions about the Check Project, is that it checks everything. The options list DOES look long. However, it only checks for navigational problems and not that all Assets are in, or can be Transcoded to DVD specs. I’ve asked for a more robust “Pre-flight” for Encore for some time. To date, Adobe has not implemented this feature - may just not be doable, or feasible.

The message, that you got, concerning End Actions was a “notice,” and is basically telling you that the Chapter Point End Action will take precedence over the one on your Timeline.

As far as the PGC Error goes, from some very long discussions on the Encore forum, it seems to me most often associated with the Assets. If I read correctly, you did a re-export out of PP using DV-AVI, and got this error at about the 50% mark on the Timeline. Was Encore Transcoding then, or was this during the burn? I’m guessing Transcoding. Question: did you Export out of PP as a muxed DV-AVI (Video & Audio in one file), or as elemental streams? In theory, there should not be a difference, but I have always found that elemental streams (DV-AVI and AC3, but could be PCM WAV) work - always.

Have you studied your Timeline around the 50% mark? Is there anything that seems at all different? Do you have one long AVI, or are you butting up several smaller ones? Back in PP, have you looked at your Sequence there, especially around the 50% mark? Does the Video, or the Audio change drastically?

Last question: what sort of free-space do you have on the HDD, that you’ve got your Project on?

As for editing the Audio to match the length of a slideshow, there is no way to do that in Encore, but it could easily be done in Audacity (as suggested), or even in one’s NLE.

Last, the “Slideshow” aspect in Encore is fairly simple. For much, in the way of visual Effects, etc., either a slideshow “maker” program, or an NLE is a better choice. If you want something quick and simple, then Encore does offer that, but it is very limited, and also seems troublesome. Next to Subtitles, I think there are more Slideshow problems, than anything else in Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks Bill, you have given me a lot to look over. I made several tests with different elements to try and isolate the cause. Only 2 types of files would burn (to folder): an AVI clip unedited or PrPro project transcoded to a MPEG2 in PrPro before bringing it into Encore.

The thing I did notice on all other types of files, that Encore did finish transcoding and was in the 'build' progress of the burn when the PGC error occurred. At this point the file is listed in the media panel as transcoded. Cleared the encore timeline and placed the transcoded file and the same thing happened during the 'build' progress.

The Adobe case reply did mention the gaps in timeline, looping menu less than 11 frames, and the DVD markers too close together. Did make several simple tests that this did not apply.

To answer your questions, program is on C drive and have about 30GB of free space. Project is on D drive with about 100 GB free space.

Not really concerned about slideshows in Encore, just wanted to try it out. PrPro is much better for that.

I did post on the Adobe forum my tests and problems and have been following the PGC error thread for any updates. User name there is Cheryl L. and I did see that you have been helpful on that thread.

At this point I have resigned to the fact that I will transcode in PrPro before going to Encore. Thanks for your help and interst.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Yes Cheryl,

I've tried to help out in that thread, but most of the folk, who post of the problem, never come back to tell any of us, if we're getting close, or have missed the mark with our guesses. Unfortuantely, they are but guesses, as most have never had that error. The only thing that I can do is try and find something common to the systems, the Projects, or the Assets to account for it. Please take the time to update your experiences there, so people like Jeff, Ruud, Joe, Harm and Neil Wilkes will have as many clues as is possible.

Your I/O system sounds solid, so I dobut that it figures into the equation. Gotta' be something common going on, but I do not know what that might be.

As for the Assets (Export out of PP), I find it odd, that Encore has a problem with the DV-AVI files. That is what I always use, as I like the way that Encore does the automatic selection on Transcoding settings. Glad that the MPEG-2 work. Only reason that I do not do that, is I'm basically lazy and do not want to do the math of bit-budgeting. Also, I've never found a way to be 100% on the overhead of my Menu structure, which is often very intricate and pushes the 1GB limit. Encore just does such a nice job with the DV-AVIs - usually, that is.

If you have the time, and the inclination, and you can put together a comprehensive description of your Project, its Assets and a schematic (kinda like the Flowchart in Encore), you can e-mail that to me to study and ponder. Just put "Encore Project" in the Subject and send to infoAThuntphoto.com. Obviously, AT becomes the symbol @, when you do this.

I love a good mystery, but hate not being able to track down a solution on this one. I keep going back to that thread and re-reading every post, trying to figure out what I'm missing.

I wish that I had some worthwhile input for the PGC error, but it's got me (and others, so it appears) stymied. I almost wish I'd get it, so I could track it down with my Project. Well, maybe I do not wish to experience it...

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:18 pm

May have solved the mystery. Got me thinking with your posts. Unfortunately I deleted my original 5 min practice project that had a little of everything in there.

Ran a few more tests:

DV-AVI file imported into Pro. Exported to Encore with directly to disc. This gave me a m2v & wav files. Worked!

DV-AVI file imported into Pro. Exported to Encore with author menu. This gave me a timeline. Added a menu with just a 'play movie'. Very simple. Burned to folder. Worked! Burned in Nero, and during the main menu another menu (similar) had the words 'media pending screen'. Not sure what that means, but it played. Must have done something wrong along the way. It was the projector menu, not sure if it is static or motion. Looks like motion.

What has changed? I have deleted files off of the C drive. If I remember correctly, had about 23 GB free space with the original tests. Now I have about 29.95 GB free space.

When I get a chance I will make another test project in Pro like the first one: With sequences, avi, pics, transitions, motion backgrounds, etc.

Too early to tell if the free space made a difference until I run the test. One thing that could be asked on the Adobe Forum is how much free space does everyone have. The discussion always pointed to work flow, but I doubted that since the project would quit during the burn during the 'building' phase and not the 'transcoding' phase.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Ran another test: Pro project consisted of pics, nested seq., 2 motion backgroungs w/pics, 2 DV-AVI files, music (wav).

Sent this project to Encore and added static menu w/play button (no chapters) and music (wav). Burned to folder then to Nero and Works! :-D

The next test will bring in various types of assets into Encore and create timeline w/markers and have a sub menu. Hopefully that will work too.

Looks like it is a direct correlation with free space on the C drive that creates the PGC code or at least in my case. :-k
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Good suggestion Richard, all of mine are WAV files.
You can convert the MP3s to WAV with Audacity.

I, too, have had problems when trying to use MP3s, but never with WAV files, when I create slide shows in PSE4.0.

If you use iTunes (a free download from apple.com) to manage your music, you can create a WAV file from an MP3 file in about 1 second by simply right-clicking on the MP3--and that is the reason I now download mostly MP3s from Amazon.com rather than protected MP4s from iTunes.* (Amazon offers a pref for downloading all the MP3s into iTunes.)

*iTunes will not convert MP4s to WAV--the workaround is to go through the hassle of burning a CD from the MP4, then ripping it back into iTunes as a WAV file.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:14 am

Great tip George! I get my music from itunes and then burn & bring into windows media. I'll check out Amazon. Thanks.

Ran a few more Encore tests and hit a snag. Have a few more to do. Determined to figure this out. :-k ](*,) :-k
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

PreviousNext

Return to Premiere Pro