They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premiere Pro Workspace Problem

Premiere Pro discussions.

Premiere Pro Workspace Problem

Postby JRjr » Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 am

I know this is primarily a Premiere Elements forum and I so I apologize for using it to ask a Pro question. Perhaps a Pro Section can be added along with the others, such a ProShow and so on. But for lack of a better place now I'm posting it here.

I'm having trouble with the Workspace feature. I have a custom one saved which shows two columns in the Assest Bin, moved to the 3rd and 4th positions, showing Video and Audio usage (this is shown SO much nicer in Elements!). If I reopen that same project with this workspace current, it seems to work.

But if I open another project, the same Custom Worplace shows up in my list, but it is not the same as before... the Video and Audio columns are removed.

If I reopen the project in which I created the Custom Workplace, these two columns show up again. But they disappear yet again if I reopen another, and so on. I can't imagine this was designed to be project specific, especially as the Workspace list shows my custon one.

I don't think this is the way it should work. What if anything am I doing wrong? Has anyone experienced the same thing?

I use the Adobe Premiere Pro forums to look things up, but I much prefer coming here for most, if not all of my Adobe needs... =D> Maybe a PrPro section will be created. [-o<

As always, thanks.

JRjr
JRjr

Re: Premiere Pro Workspace Problem

Postby Maxine370 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:59 am

I know what you mean...I experience the same thing. It seems you have to set it up with the video audio usage for each bin. It doesn't universally apply. It is frustrating. I would put in a feature request on the Adobe site. Sometimes they do make good on feature requests.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 am

HI Jr, I think a Premiere Pro forum is a good idea. Ron can probably take care of that for us :)
A very good idea seeing we are giving the program away as prizes ;)

As far as you question goes, I think this is a Premiere Pro bug, there isn't anything you are doing wrong.
Maybe someone can verify that, or give you a workaround or fix, but I am pretty sure I heard that it was a bug.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Sat May 17, 2008 11:13 am

I can't help with this problem, but as a new Premiere Pro owner, I would like to second the Pro-forum idea. I am sure I will have lots of questions!

:-
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:40 am

Chuck Engels wrote:As far as you question goes, I think this is a Premiere Pro bug, there isn't anything you are doing wrong.
Maybe someone can verify that, or give you a workaround or fix, but I am pretty sure I heard that it was a bug.

Yes, I have the same issue see my above post....
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 17, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks for adding the Premiere Pro forum Ron :)
Now, can you make it its own category just like Elements, Photoshop, and ProShow :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JRjr » Sat May 17, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses... I'm glad it's not me, but a mistake on my part would've been preferable to now knowing it's a bug, I'm afraid! #-o

Also thanks for taking me up on the Premiere Pro Corner... it seems lot's of us are now using both this and Elements, as they each have their unique strengths.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:48 pm

JRjr,

The situation that you are experiencing is normal. The Project Panel Columns layout is saved with the Project, not the Workspace. This is not so much a bug, but just the way that PP handles it. I am with you, however, that I wish it WAS saved with one's Workspace layout. I do the same with my Columns and use those very two for most Projects. Along with my standard Bin creation, I just set the Columns and Save the Project. Along those lines, I also wish that when one adds a Bin, the cursor would default up to the root, not stay on the last Bin. If you do not click out, whether up to the Sequence level, or just so that nothing is selected, your next Bin will be below (sub-Bin ?) the previously created one and you have to drag it left to get them all at the same level. Encore does it the right way, for my workflow. You just create a new Bin, and name it, hit the New Bin button, and name, and they are on the same "level." One way around this is to create a "template" Project with the Bins and Columns, as you like them. Then, open this "template" and do a Save_As for your new Project. That works too. If one does this, they might want to do a Save_a_Copy of their "template," in case one forgets to do that Save_As and then starts overwriting their "template."

I think I need to spend more time on the Feature Request link, as CS4 is probably in beta now.

Glad to see that there is a P-Pro forum. That was a great suggestion,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JRjr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:05 am

Hunt, thanks for your input on this. I've been "otherwise engaged" for the past few weeks and just saw this today. Otherwise I would have responded sooner. I'll look into your methods to see if I can get it to work as you've outlined... it's irritating because I know of no other program (at least none I've used) where the customizeable GUI is project specific. Maybe CS4 will be different, just more money, and more time spent, and so on ... :(

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 am

That is exactly how I do it also.
Set up the project workspace the way you want it and the project type, then save it as 'Default_Widescreen_SD' or something like that.
Then always start with your default, do a 'save as' first and give it a new project name. That way you always have the layout that you like :)

I have default projects in Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements, Encore, and After Effects. Makes life a lot simpler :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JRjr » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks, Chuck and everyone, this works just as you described... seems too obvious, but obviously not to me, apparently. #-o

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:07 pm

In P-Pro, there are many aspects of the Workspace that ARE global. The preset Workspaces, and then your custom ones. These control a lot of the aspects of the GUI.

However, with the Project Panel, the Columns, and other aspecst, like "default" Bins, are Project specific. Because of the differences in Projects, I can not imagine that you would please that many users, otherwise.

That is why I create a "template" Project, when I've got many, that will require the same layout. I'll just Open it, rename it to meet the criteria of my particular Project and then get started. I did similar with my Encore2 Projects, when I had 40+ DVD's that were going to be based on one basic setup. The trick is to make sure that you do not Save OVER your "template," when getting caught up in the workflow. I always make a safe copy of these, and set them to Read Only, so I don't have to start over, if I mess up.

Also, the reason that I use the "s around the word template, is so one will not assume that these are something that ships with P-Pro, or Encore. They are setup Projects, that I use to build other, similar Projects from. Just wanted to be clear on this point. If I were talking about a real Template (PE, P-Pro, Encore, Photoshop, etc.), I would have capitalized the word, unless I forgot...

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro