They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Multi Cam Workflow question

Premiere Pro discussions.

Multi Cam Workflow question

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:25 am

A quick question. I am switching to Premiere Pro and have a personal project I am working on. I took two video cameras and spent some time interviewing a family member. There is about 8 hours of video that I need to edit. I have been reading about how to setup the multi camera project. This seems to make sense. But my questions are on work flow:

1. The videos are in snippets. Average length of 45 minutes or so. Should I set this up as multiple sequences within a single project, or should it be multiple projects and I could build a compilation project later? I am leaning that way. I have a fairly beefy laptop, but it is a laptop.
  2. I planned on doing the multicam edits first and then go and edit the pauses, ums, etc out of the timeline. Is this the most effective way?
  3. The two cameras I had at the time have different resolutions and the colors don't quite match. I see that there is a step called color grading. I planned on doing this before the multicam edits. Otherwise I would have to edit all of the individual snippets to try and get a closer match.
  4. What immediate questions should I be asking or looking at before I get too far down the track? Because you don't know what you don't know.

Thank you for any all help.

Happy New Years!!!

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Multi Cam Workflow question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:17 am

I'd recommend doing it as a series of separate editing projects, Vernon. You'll go crazy trying to sync up 8 hours of snippets. For multicam editing, I'd stick to working with the sets of multicam footage I can sync, rather than trying to do it all in one big project.

Once it's all done and you have a final cut, you can then cut out bad footage.

Matching the color from different video sources is a challenge. I'm not sure what to tell you there. When I shoot a multicam event, I actually try to use even the same brands of camcorders whenever possible so that the colors are similar in each shot.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:34 am

Steve,
Thanks for the quick reply. You have confirmed what I was thinking. Yeah, the color correction will be an issue. Also I did not have lights so as the evening came and I lost light, the grain in the image picked up quite a bit. I think I may have a version of NeatVideo available. I am thinking that the color correction should be done before the rough cut is done with the multi camera angles. So it is off to work I go trying to setup the first multicam and get it properly synced.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:38 pm

The one big thing I would caution you about Vernon is after you sync your clips be careful making edits, it is easy to get your clips out of sync that way. If you sync your clips then make your initial edits, you can export that as a single video and then it will be easier to make any additional edits to that file. This shouldn't hurt the quality.

There are some good color grading options in Premiere Pro, you should be able to match them pretty close. I agree with Steve that the best way is in multiple projects rather than one big one.

Do you have separate audio or will the audio be coming from one of the cameras? If the audio is coming from one or both of the cameras, sync the two camera files and then delete the audio (or at least reduce the volume to zero) on one of the clips before you start editing. Otherwise you will end up reducing the volume on one of the tracks dozens of times after the fact. Believe my, after you have completed your first 45 minute project you will have learned a lot about what to do or what not to do when you start the next one. After this project is complete you will be a real pro !!
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:15 pm

I am switching to Premiere Pro

That's great!

Should I set this up as multiple sequences within a single project, or should it be multiple projects and I could build a compilation project later?

I would strongly recommend setting this up as a single project with multiple sequences. If it helps to think of each sequence as a separate subproject, that's fine. Sequences are only rendered as needed so it won't necessarily increase the workload on your computer. Just be sure to name the sequences so you will know what they are and can keep track of what you are doing.

One of the significant advantages Premiere Pro has over Premiere Elements is the ability to use multiple sequences. In Premiere Elements (and most consumer video editors) you have only one sequence per project. In essence, the project is the sequence. That leads to the situation where you often need to create multiple projects and exports in order to build your final project. All too often, I see people using Premiere Pro exactly the same way ignoring the fact that Premiere Pro supports multiple independent sequences. This leads to a lot of unnecessary exports and imports, complicates the project workflow, and wastes a lot of time. What would be a separate project (and export) in Premiere Elements can be a separate sequence in Premiere Pro. When you want to use it in another sequence, simply insert it into the sequence where you want to use it as if it were a regular clip -- no export necessary. Since it behaves like a normal clip, you can, of course, make additional edits to it in the new sequence. If it was synced in the original sequence it will continue to be synced in the new one. Sweet!
Bob

Postby Peru » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm

I agree with Bob's suggestion of using sequences rather than projects.

If you do choose, however, to use projects instead of sequences, you should know that you can open more than one project at a time in the latest version of Premiere Pro. You just have to be careful which project you are working in. It is easy to close or save the wrong project when more than one project is open.

You can also import one project into another, but again, you have to pay close attention to what you are working with.

And you can also nest clips and sequences.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 pm

I agree on the sequences too it is easier to manage. I would do all my color correction first before editing so you are happy with the footage.

When I use multi cam editing which I do quite a bit of I first sync up all the audio. I do this by stacking the clips on top of each other. I do not worry about video yet until I get all the audio sync'd. Then while the clips are stacked I un-link the audio from the clip. I then pick what I think is the best audio track and mute the remaining cameras audio. I then do the edit using the shift button and razor blade. delete the un-needed footage. After that is then becomes just a matter of what clip video you like and what camera shot you want. For me audio is key.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 am

Yes. +1 or using sequences. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:25 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I will spend some more time looking at sequences and how to nest them.

I had two cameras on this interview. But one of them seemed to break the files into scenes, I believe to get around the 4Gig file limit of FAT. The other was taken from my now ancient HV30 which is still operating. My first problem is that I put the HV30 on one track, It took two of the files from Cam2 to matched up to the length of the HV30 clip (Cam1 for 1 hour). Premiere interpreted it as 3 cameras when creating the MultiCam sequence. Not a problem. But the 2nd clip from Cam 2 is off sync with the HV30 audio. The first segment from Cam2 synced up dead on with no correction or drift. I am now reading how to edit the MultiCam sequence to try and take care of the drift by shifting the clip on the timeline.

Also, I was thinking that maybe I should combine the two files into one file. From my DOS days, I thought I could do this with the Copy command.

I also see that there is a product called PluralEyes that says it can solve this problem of the multiple smaller segments. Anyone have experience with it? Curious before I invest more time and money into something that won't quite fix the problem.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:59 am

sidd finch wrote:I agree on the sequences too it is easier to manage. I would do all my color correction first before editing so you are happy with the footage.

When I use multi cam editing which I do quite a bit of I first sync up all the audio. I do this by stacking the clips on top of each other. I do not worry about video yet until I get all the audio sync'd. Then while the clips are stacked I un-link the audio from the clip. I then pick what I think is the best audio track and mute the remaining cameras audio. I then do the edit using the shift button and razor blade. delete the un-needed footage. After that is then becomes just a matter of what clip video you like and what camera shot you want. For me audio is key.

Sidd

Sidd,
Thanks for the step by step. This is what I think you mean:

1. Organize the two cameras into their corresponding lengths on 2 different tracks to correspond to each camera angle
  2. Adjust the color, contrast, for each track in the sequence to reduce the difference between the two cameras
  3. Create the MultiCam Sequence. Check the audio/video sync. (Not sure how Premiere will handle a single track with multiple clips when creating the MultiCam sequence)
  4. Do the 1st three steps for each sequence that I will need to complete the project (planning on 8 (1 hour) sequences with two video tracks and two stereo audio tracks)
  5. Make the rough cut (eliminate non essential answers, pauses, etc) on the 8 created MultiCam sequences
  6. Do the camera angles for each sequence
  7. Take the camera angle for each sequence and merge into the final sequence. ( Not quite sure how to do this step just yet). May output the 8 MultiCam sequences and create a new project using the output if I can not keep nesting the sequences in this way
  8. Add additional pictures/materials to go along with the topic being discussed in the interview
  9. Was thinking of adding a music track, but not sold on the idea.
  10. Add transitions
  11. Output BluRay
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:27 am

Yes that sounds right/

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:34 am

VernonRobinson wrote:Also, I was thinking that maybe I should combine the two files into one file. From my DOS days, I thought I could do this with the Copy command.

If you mean combining two clips, that is where nesting would be useful. Create a new sequence and add the clips. Then place that sequence in the main sequence like you would a single clip.
Peru

Return to Premiere Pro