They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

question about video pixelization

Premiere Pro discussions.

question about video pixelization

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:00 am

I am wondering if there is anyway to resolve the pixelization issue I am getting. I am taking some video with my drone of the early morning skyline. The source footage seems to be fine but when I edit with PP CS6 the resulting file is pixelated. I have tried adjusting the settings (output is in H.264) from low quality single pass to high quality double pass to even constant bitrate. but each file output is pixelated.

The is the issue I am having:

The source file is an MP4 file

Sidd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: question about video pixelization

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Looks like blocking artifacts due to compression. Your bitrate should be fine. Just a guess, but I think your profile and level settings may be too low. Look at your export settings. Under the video tab, what profile and level are specified? Try changing to profile High level 4.1. Does that make a difference?

Edit: one more thing, even if it looks good on your pc, Vimeo will be recompressing it when you upload. There is a good chance blocking may be reintroduced.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Thank you Bob, I suspect that the h.264 has something to do with. I posted a screenshot of the output parameters I used. and After output, but before upload to vimeo it is still pixelating. This seems to happen when there is a withe background like clouds. Does not happen on full color video.

Sidd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm

All types of mpeg compression can suffer from blocking artifacts. That includes h.264. The problem occurs because mpeg compression works with blocks of pixels and quantifies them to a single value. The blocks are small, but, on decoding, adjacent blocks that are the same or very close value can appear to be part of much larger blocks and you get that blocky appearance. It's more likely you will get blocking in areas with low contrast and/or limited dynamic range, but you can get it in high contrast areas as well. You can also get blocking from the nature of predictive intermediate frames in mpeg compression. This shows up especially in areas with motion. The blocks can appear large, blotchy or grimy, or even jump around.

If the video contains either very high contrast or very low contrast images or subtle gradients, you might get better results if you enable the Render at Maximum bit-depth option. This will use 32bit color calculations and potentially result in better quantization. The trade off is increased rendering time. If you are getting predictive motion blocking, reducing the mpeg maximum keyframe distance may help.

profile.JPG

Since you have a higher bitrate, you probably are at level 4.1 or higher already. But, double check the profile setting. "High" is designed for HD content, "Main" is designed for SD content. The Profile setting constrains the compression algorithms used and the number of macroblocks among other things. You should be at "High". I've noticed that with Premiere Pro CS6, the Profile setting is sometimes changed to Main when I make other adjustments in export and I have to manually go back in and change back to High.
Bob

Return to Premiere Pro