They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Nested sequences not updating in CS4 PP

Premiere Pro discussions.

Nested sequences not updating in CS4 PP

Postby tjodork » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm attempting to make a video for my parents 60th anniversary.
Normally I use premiere not premiere pro (CS4) but I thought nested sequences would make organizing better.
I created a 1957 sequence and a wedding sequence.
The 1957 sequence had a title and the wedding sequence has 2 pictures.

I then make 1957 the active sequence on the timeline and then dragged the wedding sequence from the project panel onto the 1957 timeline.
The result looked fine.

Now for the problem.

I went back and added 2 more pictures to the wedding sequence .... I expected that the 1957 sequence which contains the wedding sequence would get updated ...it does not : (
My understanding is that any change I make to the wedding sequence should be reflected in the 1957.
My goal is to have a main sequence and a bunch of years and be able to change the individual year sequences and have it reflected in the main....

HELP!!!

Thanks Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Nested sequences not updating in CS4 PP

Postby tjodork » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm

i have tried changing the opacity of the wedding sequence and it does update in the 1957 sequence.....

so is it NOT supposed to be able to handle changed material in the nested sequence
..whether it be different video or pictures and different lengths?

....that would seem to be not very helpful
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm

If you add length tho the original sequence, there has to be room in the nested sequence for the additional footage to appear. It won't automatically lengthen the nest.

If there is enough room for the additional media to be shown, try deleting the media cache and media cache database files.
Also try rendering the nest.
Peru

Postby tjodork » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

thanks for responding!

i deleted the media cache database....i didnt delete the media cache because there was no button to do that
I took the last picture in the wedding sequence and stretched it out .... and then rendered it...
It did not affect the 1957 sequence at all (note it was he last stuff in 1957 so it should have been able to expand)

Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby tjodork » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm

[img]
2017-12-21%2022_13_37-Adobe%20Premiere%20Pro%20CS4%20_%20Nest%20sequences.png
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:32 am

Tim,

Changes to the nested sequence are reflected in the containing sequence. But, you are forgetting that sequences have in and out points just like regular video clips. When you place something on a timeline, the in and out points as they are on the timeline are remembered. Essentially, you are creating a sub-clip. If you subsequently add more media to the nested sequence and make it longer, it doesn't affect the in and out points of the original placement on the timeline. You'll see any changes that occur within the bounds of the original placement, but not those that occur outside those bounds. You can, of course, drag the end points of the sequence on the time line to change what you see on the time line. Or, you can delete the nested clip and re-add it.
Bob

Postby tjodork » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:02 am

Bob, your experience and knowledge is amazing !!
To test what you said, I switched 2 pictures in the wedding sequence (keeping length the same) and sure enough it was reflected in the 1957 sequence

Even COOLER, I added pictures to the wedding sequence and in the 1957 sequence, I could drag the end point of the wedding sequence to SEE the added pictures.

So as usual you were spot on! Thanks so much ...it was driving me crazy.

I do WISH it would auto expand...but as an engineer I just want to understand how things work.
Thanks again a bunch... Merry Christmas !

Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:28 am

Bob wrote:Tim,

Changes to the nested sequence are reflected in the containing sequence. But, you are forgetting that sequences have in and out points just like regular video clips. When you place something on a timeline, the in and out points as they are on the timeline are remembered. Essentially, you are creating a sub-clip. If you subsequently add more media to the nested sequence and make it longer, it doesn't affect the in and out points of the original placement on the timeline. You'll see any changes that occur within the bounds of the original placement, but not those that occur outside those bounds. You can, of course, drag the end points of the sequence on the time line to change what you see on the time line.

That's what I meant by:
If you add length tho the original sequence, there has to be room in the nested sequence for the additional footage to appear. It won't automatically lengthen the nest.

Bob is not only more knowledgeable than me, but has a better way of explaining things. :tup:
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 am

SUPER BOB :SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Premiere Pro