They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to erase an object in video?

Premiere Pro discussions.

How to erase an object in video?

Postby _Paz_ » Thu May 12, 2016 9:54 am

I have PrePro CS6, AfterEffects CS6 and Photoshop CS6.

I have a short video of a heron standing on the edge of a pond. He is about to go into stalking, fishing mode. He is a long way from me and during this shot a goose head bobs along the lower portion of the video as the goose wades into the water, between me and the heron.

I could zoom in on the heron to cut out the goose head but that would mess up the composition. In fact, I might lose the heron's head at the top.

I have lots of footage of the exact bank area with moving water that I'd like to put on a layer over the heron + goose head layer. To do that I'd have to erase the entire upper section so the heron would show - only having the moving water cover the goose head area.

What's the best way to do this?

I know I can create still shots, frame by frame, of the moving water, open them in Photoshop, and erase the upper portion of each frame, then put them back into a video format, but I'd rather not - at 60 frames per second.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How to erase an object in video?

Postby sidd finch » Thu May 12, 2016 10:16 am

You could use the section of video that has the water you like and put a 8 or 16 point track matte one it to cover the area you wish to block out. Then place that clip over the portion of video that has the head bobbing around.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 12, 2016 8:05 pm

Can you post a small clip so we can see how the footage is framed, might give us more ideas :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu May 12, 2016 10:10 pm

There are a number of ways you could do this. I'd probably use After Effects because it has better tools to do this sort of thing. But, you could do it to some extent in PrePro CS6 and Photoshop CS6 as well. Matching the water ripples well enough to hide the removal may be difficult though.

It would really help if you could provide a sample that we could see and/or play with. After we see what needs to be done, we can give more concrete suggestions.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri May 13, 2016 9:20 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxGg3g0UmZg[/youtube]

After looking at this again I see that the goose head covers the heron's feet for a brief bit. It may not be possible to fix this segment of this clip - but I'd still like to know how to go about this sort of thing.

In another segment the goose is preening in the lower right corner. This time I can Ken Burns into the image and crop the entire goose out but - as above - that isn't always possible.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts... I remember hearing (reading) the term "track matte" but that's about all I remember about it. :oops:

I'm looking forward to whatever you all come up with! :-D
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sat May 14, 2016 7:45 am

You might want to think about cutting to some B-roll or a still for that part of the clip.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 14, 2016 10:19 am

After seeing the clip I would be tempted to just leave it as is. The goose gives the piece some perspective. I think that any attempt to cover would make the piece look not so good. If this is only 5 seconds of video you might try the roto-scope route and using Photoshop to erase. But again my thought would be to leave it alone.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 14, 2016 11:54 am

I personally thought the goose was kind of an interesting photobomb too.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sat May 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Actually, the goose almost looks fake to me. :-D
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Peru wrote:Actually, the goose almost looks fake to me. :-D

Kind of like a hand puppet. :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 14, 2016 7:47 pm

A hand puppet photo bomber !!!
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat May 14, 2016 8:48 pm

I guess, Paz, that you've been around here long enough to not be surprised about where this thread has been going. :-
Peru

Postby Bob » Mon May 16, 2016 3:09 am

After looking at this again I see that the goose head covers the heron's feet for a brief bit. It may not be possible to fix this segment of this clip - but I'd still like to know how to go about this sort of thing.

In another segment the goose is preening in the lower right corner. This time I can Ken Burns into the image and crop the entire goose out but - as above - that isn't always possible.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts... I remember hearing (reading) the term "track matte" but that's about all I remember about it. :oops:

Yeah, this one is going to be difficult. The goose passes over both the feet and the reflection of the heron, and, the heron is walking. That's going to be very hard to replicate for patching purposes. Also, the ripples are distinct and moving so it will be impossible to have an exact match. If the goose hadn't crossed the heron and its reflection it might have worked though.

You've got the right idea with the Track Matte. That's the go to method that you would use in Premiere (both Pro and Elements). The basic idea would that you would place your footage of just the water on, say, track 1. The footage with the heron would go directly above on track 2, and you would place a shape on track 3 that covers the area to be removed. Apply the track matte key effect to the clip of track 2 specifying track 3 as the matte. You can set the effect properties to delete the area under the shape or the area outside the shape. The deleted area will be transparent and the clip on track 1 will show through.

There are two approaches you can use. You can place the shape over the goose and delete the goose. Or, you can place the shape over the heron and its reflection and delete the area outside the shape. In either case, make the shape slightly larger than what's being deleted and blur the edges so there won't be a sharp demarcation. The shape can be key framed to follow the motion. After the track matte has been applied, try shifting the footage on track 1 back and forth on the timeline to get the best alignment with the ripples showing on track 2. The shape can be an image file that you create in photoshop or a shape that you create in a title or by using some other method.

After Effects also has a Track Matte functionality. But, it also has other tools available. For example, you can use the pen tool to draw a mask and then key frame the mask position and shape to follow the object. You can also use the rotobrush tool to cut out the object. Both these methods can be very finely controlled.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Tue May 24, 2016 1:56 pm

You guys are funny!

Bob - Thanks!

I'll read and re-read this later and may have some track matte questions.

My Mother passed away Monday, May 16, 2016. Slowly but surely I'm getting things taken care of.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and I want to express my sincere sympathy to you and your family.
Bob

Next

Return to Premiere Pro