They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

track matte effect oddities

Premiere Pro discussions.

track matte effect oddities

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:11 pm

What's the trick to keeping the track matte effect from going weird? Seems like it corrupts easily, drags other footage or title slides into itself. I don't get it. Things from prior spots on the timeline show up later. I am interested in hearing from people who know what I'm saying.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: track matte effect oddities

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:43 pm

The usual cause of odd behavior when using Track Matte is moving one or both of the two clips involved to different tracks after setting up the track matte. Track matte is far more touchy in Premiere Elements than in Premiere Pro. I don't know about recent releases of Premiere Elements, but older releases were quite finicky. For Premiere Elements, it was recommended that you remove the track matte effect prior to moving one of the corresponding clips to another track and then reapply it. It was also recommended that you use images prepared in a photo editor for the matte rather than use a title as a matte -- making subsequent changes to a title could cause problems. It has also been reported that making a lot of changes to the project could sometimes affect track matte.

Premiere Pro has a far more robust implementation of Track Matte. I'm using Premiere Pro CS6 and have encountered no problems whatsoever and I use track matte a lot. I occasionally had a problem with CS5 and earlier, but rarely. I never used CS5.5, so I don't know about that version.

Your description of the problems (drags other footage or title slides into itself... things from prior spots on the timeline show up later) I've never seen. The part about prior spots of the timeline showing up is especially puzzling as track matte only composites frames occurring at the same time position on the timeline. You aren't using time remapping or time stretch by any chance? Possibly you have some garbage on higher tracks that's showing up.

If you continue to encounter problems when using Premiere Pro, try using nested sequences. Are you familiar with how to do that? Place the two clips that will be used with the track matte key effect into a separate sequence and apply the effect there. Then place that sequence on your main timeline. That will effectively isolate and wall off the track matte timeline and eliminate any side effects. If you are using time remapping, apply it in the main timeline after you add the nested sequence.
Bob

Re: track matte effect oddities

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 am

Great idea, Bob -- use nesting to isolate the track matte effect. What an easy fix.

No, I'm not using remapping or stretching. But, yes, I am making lots of changes in the project file. Lots and lots. So nesting sounds great. I see the advantage. I have CS5.5.

Muchas gracias de nuevo. This will be a HUGE time saver and a rise in quality.

max t, not mxt up
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro