They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Alternatives to DVD

Premiere Pro discussions.

Alternatives to DVD

Postby thhult » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:53 am

I have completed a blu ray projects in Premiere Pro. Project size is about 27 GB, and consists of 12 sequences.
In Encore, I have created one main menu and two submenus (6 chapters on each). Now to my problem:
When I want to create a Blu Ray disc, it may not fit on a 25GB disc. An alternative was to get a dual layer disk of 50 GB. But it proved to be very difficult to find one. There are a few places online such as eBay but apparently dvd discs on outgoing. and will be replaced by memory cards / USB memory sticks
Can you get the same results projects created in Encore when using memory cards? Or are there other alternatives?

Grateful for your comments
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Alternatives to DVD

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:05 am

Hi Thomas,

Yes, sorry to see the DVDs and Blu Ray discs go, along with the art of creating them. My first suggestion is to do a little more editing to get the size down to where it will fit on the disc. That is the number one challenge for all of us, creating a video that fits :)

You can burn a folder to a memory card or flash drive and some software can play that just like it is a DVD, but that is not every device or every piece of video software that can do that. The thing about video on flash drives or streaming is that you can skip around the video without needing menus and chapter markers. The person viewing the video can skip to any point at any time, no menu required.

I have converted all of my videos to MP4 and put them onto a portable 2 TB hard drive that I connect to my TV, it's just that easy now. I have them separated into folders by year and the videos have a good descriptive name. There are a lot of things I like about this technology and then there are times I miss just putting a disc in the player. I enjoyed creating menus for the DVDs that I produced, but also enjoy not having to do that anymore :)

Hope that helps.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:42 pm

I do something similar to what Chuck does. I have a dedicated 3TB hard drive (with a mirrored backup, of course) loaded with MP4 files. The filenames are in this format: yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss_[short description]. So for videos of my son's birthday, it would look something like this:

2015-11-14-19-23-54_Camerons2ndBirthday.mp4

This naming convention keeps them all in chronological order while showing something that describes what each video contains. I then import them all into iTunes on my computer, which can then play them on my TV via Apple TV with full browsing capability on the TV via the Apple TV remote. The only time I burn discs anymore is when I need to provide something to someone who wants to be able to play it on their BRD or DVD player.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:26 am

Re your BluRay filesize problem: does the following link help?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/blu ... on.682377/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby thhult » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you all for your help. I have new options.

Regards
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro