They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

toggle for auto-joining clips?

Premiere Pro discussions.

toggle for auto-joining clips?

Postby Matthew Max » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Does Pro have a toggle switch for auto-joining clips on the timeline? Sometimes I want it. You know, when you delete a segment and the other pieces slide over automatically?

Also, what about when I do not want it in PE9? Is there a way to turn it off? I hope so!!! Sure is a nasty feature when you don't want it.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: toggle for auto-joining clips?

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:56 pm

What you are talking about is called a ripple delete. Both Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements give you the choice of doing a ripple delete or a regular delete. But, for reasons only known to Adobe, the default type of delete you get is reversed in Pro compared to Elements. If you select a clip and press delete in Pro you'll get a regular delete which leaves the adjacent clips alone and you get a gap. If you do that in Elements, you get a ripple delete which deletes the clip and moves the subsequent clips over to close the gap. The way you switch to the other type of delete is the same in both programs. After the clip is selected, press and hold the shift key and press delete. Alternately, you can right click on the clip in the timeline. For a regular delete, select Clear. For a ripple delete, select Ripple Delete in Premiere Pro or Delete and Close Gap in Premiere Elements.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Yes, that's the ripple delete. I only see it a million times a day. And now you've told me how to control it. Thank you thank you thank you!
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Matthew Max » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Yep. That tips is working wonders for me, Bob. Thanks! A lot!
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro