They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is there an effect to correct pixelation?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Is there an effect to correct pixelation?

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:48 pm

I intentionally shoot certain footage in low light. When I render it, it may be pixelated. Is there an effected to correct this?
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Is there an effect to correct pixelation?

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

I use the NeatVideo plugin for Premiere Pro:
http://www.neatvideo.com/

Converting to black & white sometimes helps, too.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:32 am

You might also like to write a short section of the file to a re-writable DVD to see what it will look like when displayed on a TV.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:24 am

Peru, what exactly is the visible result when you use that effect? I think you're referring to the $200 software to fix pixelation, right?
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Matthew,

Could you grab a frame and post it here so we can see it. Generally, you will get noise in low light shooting rather than pixilation. Noise can be in luminance and look grainy and in the chroma and look splotchy. A noise reduction program like neat video can improve both of those somewhat. I'm not sure what program you're referring to at $200. Neat Video comes in a $50 home version and a $100 pro version. If you're using 1920x1080 you'll need the pro version.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Here it is, Bob.

sample for muvipix - pixelation or noise.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm

On my monitor it looks like neither pixelation nor noise, but just not enough light. I'm not sure that it can be corrected (unless I'm not seeing it well enough on my monitor).
Peru

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:11 pm

The previous frame was raw footage. Here's a frame of the mp4. It has the B&W effect to it.
wild-pink-piggy-001.mp4.Still.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Yes, that is definitely noise. Try the Neat Video Demo plugin for Premiere and see how that works for you. The demo plugin will only clean up a portion of the frame, but you should be able to tell how well it will work for you. Be sure to check out how to use it.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks, Bob. I went through the tutorial. When the guy is explaining the improvement that the effect makes, I can hardly see any improvement. How do you and Peru feel about NeatVideo? Is this a Communist psychological plot?
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 pm

I have used the NeatVideo plugin in Premiere Pro both successfully and unsuccessfully. It will usually work. It depends upon the clip. Sometimes it works better if you convert your clip to black & white first.

Do as Bob suggests and try the demo version.
Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 pm

It is really difficult to see the noise reduction in the tutorial. You really should install the demo plugin and try it out on your own footage.

Here's a rough before/after comparison using the screen grab you posted. I increased the brightness considerably to make it easier to see the noise. The noise sample was taken from just above the cow. I left it at the default results -- I could have increased the smoothing. It didn't get rid of all the chrominance noise, but the luminance noise was much improved. It will probably do better on your actual footage as it can use preceding and following frames to further reduce the noise.

noise_reduce.jpg
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Well, this is interesting, then, because the audience for this really popular piggy is not going to care -- if that's all the difference there is, or anything close to that difference. I think a person must need an eye for it. This is supposed to be a dark scene. However, on a TV the difference might be important. I only watch on computer screens, so I don't know. I will follow through and see. Thanks so much, Bob. You are such a great help...the way you detail things. It's an immense help.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:22 am

Matthew Max wrote:.....I went through the tutorial. When the guy is explaining the improvement that the effect makes, I can hardly see any improvement..... Is this a Communist psychological plot?

I, too, have used NeatVideo for a few years now and I'm still waiting for "the reds" to reveal themselves. :-D

It is a useful addition to one's library of video support tools so, like Bob and (Peru) Bob I can also recommend it.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Premiere Pro