They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Stripping Wind

Premiere Pro discussions.

Stripping Wind

Postby Knorske » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Using CS6. What is the best method to strip wind noise from the audio. I shot an outdoor wedding, using foam screens (and, of course, should have had those swell fur mic screens).

Many thanks.
Knorske
New User
New User

Re: Stripping Wind

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:41 am

This is a cut and paste from a discussion on the Adobe forum:-

"Unfortunately I don't think that anything is going to help you much here - it's why pro recordists (and anybody else who realises what the problem is) use big fluffy windgags on mics outside - even when there's hardly any wind at all. These break up the direct blasts considerably, and randomise the air movements around the gag itself. As a consequence, inside the gag there's an area of still air around the mic itself, and that stops the blast effects on the diaphragm.

The problem with wind is that it's not constant in level or sound type - the bandwidth varies too. Audition can reduce constant background sounds quite effectively, but wind doesn't even begin to qualify here - and as a consequence, there's no way that Noise Reduction can help you - even the newer adaptive sort doesn't fix wind problems. And before you ask, there's no other software that can help either - this random high level noise is all over the wanted parts of your recording, so whatever you do, it's also going to affect that.

That said, often you can fix some of the problems by rolling off all of the bass in the signal - say, everything below 100 Hz, because that's usually where the worst effects are, and there generally isn't much speech content below 100Hz anyway. But once you've done that, you don't really have anywhere else to go with this, I'm afraid. might help but you will struggle to completely remove the wind noise."

Here's a link to another discussion. There might be something here that helps.

http://www.indietalk.com/archive/index.php/t-33606.html

A dead cat (aka those swell fur mic screens) is a good investment.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Knorske » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Two Sheds...

Many thanks for your reply. I did read the Adobe item you pasted to your reply. If memory serves (now, please realize we're in big trouble when relying on MY memory) this is the same thread when your dog entered the posts. I will agree, you have a wonderful-looking pup who sounds like the probable subject of a movie or two! I did enjoy the tongue-in-cheek comment regarding "dead cats." Most of my family are "cat people," and I'm sure they'd react if I told them I shoot with a "dead cat" on my mic!!

I know reducing or eliminating noise during the shoot is THE method to use. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I was shooting an outdoor wedding (at a gorgeous hilltop location in the Wisconsin farm country). I had foam covers on my mic, and as all the Big Boys know, without the fur covering you're just asking for wind noise on your audio.

You can guess--I'm a novice at shooting and at the editing bench. I do appreciate your comments and efforts to help me sort this out!! ...and get rid of (or reduce) the noise from my audio. No chance, of course, to re-shoot!

Have a great day...and give your dog a pat on the head from me! :-D
Knorske
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:17 am

I agree with Two Sheds. It's virtually impossible to remove wind noise from audio. That's why even Hollywood productions shot on windy days have to have their audio re-dubbed in a studio.

I can think of a couple of suggestions for next time -- like using wireless lapel mikes on the bride and groom -- but that's not going to help you now.

I'm sorry to say that there's not much you can do. If the wind isn't too loud, you might be able to use a noise gate to quiet your audio when no one is speaking. But if you've got a lot of wind noise over people talking, there's probably not much you can do to clean it up.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 am

Depending on the audio clip, you may be able to use background music at a low volume level to mask some of the noise.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:55 am

Knorske, they really are called deadcats. :-D

http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/rode-deadc ... tAodA34Aiw
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Premiere Pro