They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

unwanted white outline of rotating JPG file

Premiere Pro discussions.

unwanted white outline of rotating JPG file

Postby Margthecar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 pm

I am working in Premiere (CS5) and have a series of graphics coming and going in layers. At the bottom (Video 1) is Black Video. On Video 2 is a circular blue and pink jpg (or png) that rotates constantly through the entire piece like a wheel. When any graphic (they are PNGs so far) on a higher layer is placed on Video 3 or higher that is also moving or rotating, the JPG in Video 2 gets a white rectangular outline around it that is annoyingly rotating with it. I tried changing video 2 graphic to a PNG with the same result. A photo is attached of the white line. Any ideas how to get rid of the annoying white outline? I have CS5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Re: unwanted white outline of rotating JPG file

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Open your graphic on Video 2 in Photoshop, select everything outside of the graphic and delete it, to make sure the JPG compression isn't leaving anything behind. Then just save it as a PSD file (or, if you'd prefer, a PNG with transparency). That should eliminate it.

Even better if your original graphic was a PSD file and you work from it. JPG compression often adds some unwanted artifacts to your image -- and they remain there even if you convert the JPG to another format.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Are you saying the white line isn't there until you add the third layer??? And, it's there only when the third layer is moving or rotating???

Is this a standard definition or high definition project and what is the pixel aspect ratio of the project/sequence? Do the images have a square pixel aspect ratio?

It would help if I could see the actual layer 2 file. It would be even better if you could supply a short sample project with just the three layers and two images that exhibits the problem. I use CS6, but I still have CS5 installed and I could try it on my system and see better what's happening. If you don't want to post in public, you can zip everything into a single file and send it to me as an attachment in a private message.
Bob

Postby Margthecar » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks Steve and Bob for the prompt and informative replies.

I am working in SD widescreen AVI, so not square pixels. Also, my monitor is small so I did not see it at first, but the white outline is there rotating on my "Wheel" graphic (Video 2) at all times, but it is very faint when the graphic is solo, and becomes more pronounced when there is a PNG or two present on Video 3 and/or 4 tracks.

I followed up Steve on your idea of the outline being a JPG artifact. It is and isn't. The original file was a very large BMP (7000 wide or something) from a Genealogy program (the "wheel" is a circular family tree). I imported that into Photoshop, reduced it to 1500 wide, and made both a JPG (with the black background) and a PNG (with the "wheel" selected out and pasted into a file with a transparent background), both of which gave the white outline I described.

So I went back to the original PSD file and starting over, did some trial and error trying the different files in my Sequence to see if the white line was there or not. I did trials in the different formats with the original uncropped image, then cropped out just a few pixels width all around the outside (where a thin outline would be). In all cases the file was reduced to 1500 wide.

Files which gave the white line artifact: Uncropped JPG, PNG, PSD and cropped JPG

Files which did NOT give the white line artifact: cropped PSD and PNG

Interestingly the uncropped PSD and the cropped JPG still gave the white line. Could it be that there are 2 things going on here: 1) the original BMP from the Genealogy program perhaps had some sort of faint outline (although I know I set it to NO outline) that showed up when put against black AND 2) when saved as a JPG there is some sort of edge artifact?

Well, problem solved anyway. And not too painful as these things go. Thanks for your help! :)
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Return to Premiere Pro