They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Subtitles vs Closed Caption

Premiere Pro discussions.

Re: Subtitles vs Closed Caption

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I've been able to add closed captions/subtitles, still not quite sure what the difference is between them

Subtitles, also called Open Captions, show all the time. They are typically used to display translations of foreign language dialog or difficult to understand speech. Closed Captions are intended to meet the needs of hearing impaired viewers. They can be turned off so that people with normal hearing do not have to see them if they don't want them.

DVDs blur the lines as they can have optional subtitle tracks as well as closed captions. The subtitle tracks may contain a duplicate of the closed captions or something else entirely.
Bob

Re: Subtitles vs Closed Caption

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I found a wonderful source of information regarding both Closed Captions and Subtitles here:

http://www.cpcweb.com/faq/

I've come to believe that: (I could be mistaken!)

Closed Captions:

Closed Caption works through the TV set and is controlled only by the remote control for the TV set, not the DVD player remote.

The reason Closed Captions in movies I have that include them won't play on my setup is because I'm connected between all boxes with HDMI cables. Component cables will only support closed captions in standard definition. (480i). Not sure what S video cable will do.

Closed captions are a separate bit of information which used to be provided on broadcast line 21. Since 2009 most broadcasters in North America have switched over to DTV (digital TV.)

Closed captions need to be provided as a .scc file for regular definition, or .mcc for high definition. Not sure if .mcc is required for high def. Encore, if set up correctly, can add closed captions to a DVD, but it isn't possible to see the captions in Encore. You have to burn a disc before you can tell if they are there, and if you test on a TV set that is connected to your DVD player with HDMI cables, they aren't going to show up anyway.

Closed captions are required by law, in both English and Spanish, as of 2010, in the USA, for broadcast TV. Not sure how to add both languages in Encore, that is, together or separately, or how to give the viewer a choice.

Encore can add closed captions only in NTSC format. PAL uses a different standard that Encore does not support.

Subtitles:

Subtitles are bitmap images that can be turned on or off on a DVD and will be controlled by the DVD remote control. They can be either language only, or language and sound effects, which are labled SDH (subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired.)

While it would be lovely, I doubt any TV stations are ever going to be broadcasting my videos. What I need to figure out is how to make the buttons work with subtitles.

I'm running the trial of MovieCaptioner, which can create the several file types, including .scc, what Encore needs, what YouTube needs and many more.

http://www.synchrimedia.com/

My earliest attempts failed because my AVCHD video is too high a resolution and the previewer part of the program wouldn't function. With help from the creator of the program I've learned I need to reduce my file size considerably. I'm stll working on it.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Premiere Pro