They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can subclips point back to original source?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Can subclips point back to original source?

Postby bryanedmondson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 am

I am guilty of the number one rookie mistake. I created sub clips with in and out points too short for later transitions. I spent a long time taking these 4 second sub clips from a 30 minute original show sequence. To make dumb, dumber, I did not create a sequence from the original show footage. I took the in and out points directly out of the show clip, dropped into the source monitor. I feel like Homer Simpson.

Is there any way to "f" and match-frame the sub clips, so that they may point back to the original spots from where they were excised in the original raw footage in the 30 minute show?

Thanks -Stretch less in Texas.
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Re: Can subclips point back to original source?

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Right click the subclip in the project media bin and select Edit Subclip. You can then make the in point earlier and the out point later. Click ok. This doesn't change the edit points of the clip already on the timeline, but the added frames will be available and can be used by the transition.
Bob

Postby bryanedmondson » Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 am

Ingenious as always Bob. Thanks so much. I had all but given up as Adobe Community Forum members for Premiere Pro all basically told me I was screwed. As always I much appreciate your experience.

BTW, I like your computer signature. You must have been computing in the late 70s. ::C My Dad was in graduate school then studying Organic chemistry. My dad had a friend Donny, who had almost lethal allergies to everything and was extremely meticulous but also a literal genius. Donny, my dad had previously told our family, was a "Computer Programmer," as if I knew what that was. #-o
My dad drove our whole family to Donny's house one day to pick up Donny and give him a ride to the University of Texas in our rusty old Volkswagen. I was about 8.
Sneezing and Blinking rapidly, as usual, Donny carefully squeezed into the back seat between me and my brother.He had his arms wrapped around a huge cardboard box of at least 2000 or300 paper punch cards. He gingerly held these in lap like a box of old dynamite, and was very nervous about bumps on the road. :eek:
I asked him, "Donny what are those paper cards for?" He told me it was a "tic tack toe," game program for a computer. He said the paper cards are all in a certain order and that the computer "eats in" in the cards and somehow puffs of air go through the holes, and these puffs of air, then tell the computer how to play tic tack toe. I imagined a computer the size of a house, with lots of gears, and something that snorted and sniffed. At least from the way he described it. It was pretty unimpressive as I could play myself tic tack toe. :hyst: (That was the day I predicted a computer would never be anything anyone would want much less use-it was all so much over done work. All I needed was a pencil and one of those paper cards and I could play tick tack toe. Computers were stupid [-X )

A while down the road I asked Donny what would happen I I took out one card when he wasn't looking, and mixed it up with another one somewhere else in this huge box.
He told me the computer would not play tic tac toe, actually he said it wouldn't do anything at all, if they all were all not in perfectly the exact order. Also he said he probably would not get his PhD.D. I never knew if he was serious. But I think he was.
He never took his eyes off of me the whole trip. :roll:

:yh:
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Postby Bob » Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 am

You must have been computing in the late 70s.

Early 60's actually.
Bob

Postby bryanedmondson » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 am

Even more impressive.
bryanedmondson

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 03, 2013 10:05 am

They had computers in the 60s?

Of course they did. Big, refrigerator-sized processors with giant spools of tape, and it took several of them linked together to actually do anything.

I remember when my high school got their first calculators in the early 70s. They each cost hundreds of dollars each, so the school had them all bolted to the desks in the math lab. And believe it or not, they didn't include a subtraction key! You had to add a negative number to subtract.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 am

Calculators. Far too advanced!! Anyone remember logarithms and slide rules?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Sat May 04, 2013 7:28 am

I still have my slide rule from high school. We weren't allowed to use calculators on exams, as not all students could afford to purchase one.
I can only remember how to multiply and divide, however.

My daughter looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that we used to use tables to look up logarithms and trigonometry functions.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 am

Peru wrote:I still have my slide rule from high school. We weren't allowed to use calculators on exams, as not all students could afford to purchase one. I can only remember how to multiply and divide, however.

A buddy of mine lusted after a Texas Instruments SR-10 but $150 was too much. A lot of money in the early 70s. When they were ready to introduce a new line they dropped the price to $100 and he finally broke and bought one. We were amazed at the technology. Add, subtract, multiply, divide, and square roots was about all that it did if I recall. That was about the same time period as LED watches. Remember those? You had to push a button to see the time because they used so much power. I had a nice slide rule that was passed down to me by my dad. Came in a leather case. I hadn't thought of it in years. Wish I had it now. Bit of trivia: the "SR" in the SR calculator series actually stood for slide rule.

My daughter looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that we used to use tables to look up logarithms and trigonometry functions

Remember the days when we had to actually put CDs into players to get music? Rough times.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sat May 04, 2013 2:16 pm

I bought an HP-35 back in 1972. That was the first scientific pocket calculator with full trigonometric and transcendental math functions. A number of us at work got together and arranged a discounted bulk purchase. Cost me $300 instead of the list $395. I used it so much that I wore out the keys.
Bob

Postby Peru » Sat May 04, 2013 6:24 pm

That's one with an "enter" instead of an "equals" button, isn't it?

I had one similar to that in college after switching from a TI. It took a little time to think like HP when calculating instead of the way everyone else did it.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Reverse Polish. I used one all through tech school and loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun May 05, 2013 12:56 am

Seems that this has turned into nostalgia corner for us older folk! :hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Premiere Pro