They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Making Digital video look like Film (PrPro)

Premiere Pro discussions.

Making Digital video look like Film (PrPro)

Postby momoffduty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm

I haven't tried this yet, but looks promising:

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/filmic- ... miere-pro/
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Making Digital video look like Film (PrPro)

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:28 pm

That looks pretty cool, I've had some really good results with ProDad Vitascene :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:41 pm

This is called "filmic blend" and has been around for quite a while. It works by increasing the contrast and saturation using blend modes. It does not fill in the gaps between scan lines as that description seems to imply.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Bob wrote:This is called "filmic blend" and has been around for quite a while. It works by increasing the contrast and saturation using blend modes. It does not fill in the gaps between scan lines as that description seems to imply.

Thanks for clarifying Bob. I was wondering how it would "fill in". It does make the video pop a bit. I have Magic Bullet Quick Looks and using one of the presets at a low percentage does the same thing. ProDad must do the same thing as Chuck posted.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:26 am

The purpose of adding the blur is to mimic the look you get with film when you overexpose or shoot through some kind of diffuser. Film shot that way will get a glow or bloom to it where the highlights and/or shadows spread out into the surrounding image. This type of glow is often used in glamour/romantic shots -- all too often used with a far too heavy hand. When I use it, I prefer a subtle touch. The blur is added to the layer(s) with the blending mode. Applying it to the base layer will just make the image fuzzy.

As for the blending modes, Add and Screen increase the brightness of the image, especially in the highlights. And, Overlay and Soft Light increase contrast and apparent saturation and darken the shadows. Generally, if you use this technique, you would use both types of blend layers and adust the opacity of each to adjust to taste.

You can achieve a similar pop using other techniques including curves, Black Magic Looks (or Quick Looks), and other plugins.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:13 pm

It would be easy to overdo the effect. Have you noticed commercials are leaning towards the blown highlights lately or a soft haze look?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:43 pm

momoffduty wrote:It would be easy to overdo the effect. Have you noticed commercials are leaning towards the blown highlights lately or a soft haze look?

I don't know that it's exactly what you're talking about, but there's a series of commercials by Brand Power and another by Medifacts that blow out the highlights in the fake product displays in the background. Hurts my sensibilities. :ha:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Premiere Pro