They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Controlling that stretchy bar on the time ruler

Premiere Pro discussions.

Controlling that stretchy bar on the time ruler

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:30 pm

I don't know what to call that bar that you have to stretch across your timeline so that the entire project renders, but in some files, it keeps contracting or expanding. Did I hit a shortcut key to make it behave this way. It's the bar with handles that you can stretch to the left or to the right. This problem is one of my pet peeves. How do I deal with this pecky thing?
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Controlling that stretchy bar on the time ruler

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:33 pm

When you add or remove media from a project the bar will resize to cover all media.. is that what you mean?

EDIT... oops sorry I misread your question... I thought you were refering to the line above the media that shows you if the media needs rendering. I guess you are refering to the work bar area. This shouldn't be jumping around.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Yes, but sometimes it doesn't, and in those projects, it stays cantankerous. So that's why I believe I have accidentally hit a shortcut key to affect it.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Matthew Max wrote: So that's why I believe I have accidentally hit a shortcut key to affect it.

The shortcuts to set the begining and end of the work area bar are "ALT {" and "ALT }".
Peru

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Okay, that's real helpful, Peru. Gracias. Now, what am I doing that is causing that stretchy bar to act out of line?

Whoever can answer that question--I will eat an enchilada in your honor--with arroz y frijoles, and, if you want, I'll add salsa.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

It sounds like you are talking about the Work Area Bar. Here's a snapshot that shows it:
CS5 timeline.JPG
. The Work Area Bar is the one on the bottom of the time scale. The one on the top is the Viewing Area Bar. In CS6, it's different. Here's a snapshot for comparison:
CS6 timeline.JPG
. Note that the Viewing Area Bar is gone -- it's replaced by a zoom bar at the bottom of the panel, and the Work Area Bar is also not there. You can set the panel to show the Work Area Bar if you wish, but in CS6, the preferred way is to set in and out points for the sequence.

As to your problem, you most likely did something at some point to adjust the Work Area Bar. I don't know what -- double clicking on it, dragging the ends, using the keyboard shortcut all will cause this. Once that has happened, you need to manually double click on the Work Area Bar to cause it to cover the entire sequence timeline. This is saved in the project file, so it will persist from one session to the next for that project. New projects will have the automatic default behavior, but not if you copied an old project to use as a template and that project had that problem. So, don't start a new project by copying an old project unless you know that the Work Area Bar has not been adjusted. There is no way to undo this from within the program. This Work Area Bar issue is the same in Premiere Elements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Great answer, Bob!

I will now eat that enchilada in your honor. So tasty. It pairs really well with your answer.
The problem is that now I feel like eating toast instead. I will eat a slice of sourdough bread
in your honor, along with a slice of oat bread. With butter and coffee, half decaf.

Gracias por toda la ayuda.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 pm

De nada.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:25 pm

I know that sometimes I may zoom in and double click on the bar, that will set the work area bar to only the viewable area which when zoomed in can be rather small. Then after zooming back out so the entire timeline is in view I will have to double click again to get the work area bar to cover the entire project again :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Well, that's interesting, because I've been experiencing the same thing at times.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro