They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Multi-Camera Editing: For Clips Only?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Multi-Camera Editing: For Clips Only?

Postby Margthecar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:35 am

I am just starting out in Pro (part of CS5) this month, after using PrE8 for about 2 years. I sure do feel like I have jumped from a Chevette to a Maserati! Sequences....wow...NOW that's what I really needed but never knew I wanted! The other revelation so far is Multi-camera editing. I tried it once very painfully in PrE8 with footage from 4 cameras. But after working through a Classroom-in-a-Box tutorial on multi-camera editing I see how easy it can be in Pro using a nested sequence and the Multi-camera monitor.

BUT (of course there is a but), when I tried it on some of my own footage I ran into numerous problems. I think I finally figured it out, but I am looking for confirmation: Does the multi-camera function only work for a nested sequence created from actual CLIPS, and does it NOT work with a nested sequence of Sequences?

I looked at the Help files and this forum and there is no mention of making the multi-camera nested sequence out of sequences, only out of clips, so I am wondering if it simply does not work with sequences. In my vast one month of experience :-) I have found sequences can be edited and fiddled with just like clips, so I just assumed the multi-camera function would work with them as well. But when I tried to used the multi-camera function on a nested sequence of 4 video tracks of sequences I created, I got a myriad of odd problems. Mostly it was that the Multi-camera Monitor would only play Video 1 of the 4 sequences. Sometimes it crashed completely with an error about the graphics card (I updated my NVIDIA drivers but still got the problem). I thought it might be a resource problem so I reduced the sequences to 2 tracks, but again only the track on Video 1 showed in the Multi-camera Monitor and I still managed to crash it. Finally, I took some CLIPS, made a test nested sequence and the Multi-camera function and Monitor worked as it was supposed to.

Soooo, does this mean I need to take my sequences, turn them into clips, THEN use the clips for multicamera editing? Or am I missing something key here that would allow me to use the sequences directly in the multicamera editing?
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Re: Multi-Camera Editing: For Clips Only?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:41 am

I haven't used the multi camera feature so I can't offer any personal tips but I did find this:-

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2 ... th_an.html
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:30 am

I'm not at all sure why you're making it a bit complicated for yourself. Aren't your Sequences made up of clips? I do a lot of multi-camcorder work and I find it very straightforward now. From memory:

1) ingest the material
2) taking one of the clips create a new Sequence
3) drag other clips involved onto, say, V2 to V4
4) align them using any one of several ways.
5) create new Sequence.
6) drag original Sequence into this new Sequence.
7) right click on this new Sequence and Enable multicamcorder editing.
8) under Window open multi-camera window.
9) start editing and click on appropriate quadrant on the left to have that camera the one to be seen.
10) if you do move the CTI by dragging it with your mouse DON'T FORGET to click back on the multi-camera video before pressing the space bar otherwise you'll get that sinking feeling.

There are some very helpful tutorial videos freely available which I'll happily look up if you need them/can't find them.

By the way, multicamcorder editing is EASY and, I think, very pleasurable - the hard part is doing colour correction, but that's another subject :-D
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:07 am

Although multicam is normally used to cut between clips and not sequences, I couldn't think of any valid reason why it wouldn't work using sequences. I have CS5 also. So, I did a quick test. I created 4 sequences with two clips in each sequence. I setup a multicam edit using those 4 sequences and then did a multicam edit using the multicam window. Everything worked perfectly.

I don't know why you encountered problems. How much ram do you have and what is your video card?
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 am

Bob wrote:I don't know why you encountered problems. How much ram do you have and what is your video card?

It is in the signature, Bob. :-D (2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Margthecar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned I have only been working with Pro about a month, coming from PrE. So you asked, Briantho, why I made it so complicated to start with? Yeah, good question. Really it is because that is what my vision needs. I have my two kids floating around in a fishtank complaining about how I turned them into goldfish to take care of them easier--now what parent wouldn't want to have that on video? :-D But to do this I have green screen tracks, aquarium background footage, me sitting in the comfy chair, etc. Lots of layers and angles.

So after a good night's rest I returned to the problem. I was doing all the steps exactly as you outlined, Briantho, so that confirmed my method. And thanks Bob for demonstrating that sequences themselves are not a problem. So clearly there was something about MY sequences in particular that PrPro was having trouble with. I took a closer look and I found two issues--both rookie mistakes and easily fixable. I was working late last night and missed them.

No. 1. (Steve Grisetti slap me upside the head on this one) My aquarium footage was shot with an old still camera and I had not converted the "AVI" footage to real DV-AVI footage. This was probably causing the original crashes. I converted the footage to DV-AVI format and replaced it in the sequences. So far, no more crashes.

No. 2 During all my "troubleshooting" of Problem No. 1, I had stripped my nested sequence down to 2 video tracks and turned video track 2 off for some reason (with the little eye icon) and had NOT turned it back on. Hence when I went to the Multi-cam monitor, it only showed video track 1. Once I turned it back on, both tracks appeared in the Multicam monitor.

So after fixing both problems, I added back in the other 2 tracks for a total of 4 (3 sequences and 1 clip) and was able to successfully use the Multicamera Monitor to make the edits! Yay! Thanks to all for getting me back on "track." (I can't resist a pun.) I will post the video in my gallery when I get the chance.
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Postby momoffduty » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Margthecar wrote:I am just starting out in Pro (part of CS5) this month, after using PrE8 for about 2 years. I sure do feel like I have jumped from a Chevette to a Maserati! Sequences....wow...NOW that's what I really needed but never knew I wanted! The other revelation so far is Multi-camera editing.

Sequences are wonderful and the multi-cam editing saves time. You mentioned later in this thread about turning the eye off of the track. I don't think I could live without that feature now.

My first impression of PrPro coming from PrEl was going from a glider to a 747.

Happy Editing!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 am

Glad that you were able to sort that out. :-D
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Margthecar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:46 am

Hey all, I finished a part of the scene I was working on. After I fixed the AVI issue, no more crashes and all worked well. I put a short clip in my Gallery. The link is below. One note is that it is Widescreen Flash, but for some reason it plays here in Standard size, so it appears a bit squished. Also, the baseball is a running gag that doesn't make much sense out of context of the whole project. Enjoy!

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... umTest.flv
Margthecar

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 am

:lol: :like: =D>
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:03 am

Creative! Great job in editing too. :TU: :like: Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing all the creative videos from Muvipixers. :-D

When you upload a widescreen video to the gallery there are spaces to fill in for width & height on the info page. Ron will probably fix your file.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 am

Very cute and a great idea! Now everyone's going to want to know about the baseball. :-D
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Margthecar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:17 am

Oh that's what those dimensions are for! I saw them when I uploaded the video but thought they were more like a description than a spec. Okay, I will go back and fix that. Now I know. Always something new to learn.....fun, fun, fun.
Margthecar

Postby Margthecar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:44 am

Well I could not figure the dimension thing out. I always get a little confused with all the formats and pixel shapes. On my cameras at least (ancient SD DV-AVI consumer-level Sonys), for widescreen the resolution stays the same 720x480, but the pixel shape changes to make it 16:9, instead of 4:3. I exported it as a Large Flash Widescreen (I think). Not sure what that does to the width x height dimensions. That's okay, it plays fine even if it is a bit squished.
Margthecar

Return to Premiere Pro