They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to move the CTI ?

Premiere Pro discussions.

How to move the CTI ?

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:46 am

Hi there,

I am using CS5.

My snapping is set to ON. Can I know how do I move the CTI to the begining or end of the clip with a single press ?

In Final Cut, I just is up or down arrow key. What is the CS5 equivalent ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How to move the CTI ?

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:52 am

Should be "Home" and "End", same as Premiere Elements I believe.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:55 am

Press "Home" to go to the beginning, "End" to go to the end.

Edit: looks like Chuck and I were responding at the same time. :lol:
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:30 pm

That might be the first time I've ever actually beat you to the post Bob \:D/
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:58 pm

To go to the the beginning or end of the clip with a single press you'd use Page Up or Page Down - go ahead, try it. To go to the beginning of your Sequence (lots of clips) you'd use Home and to the end you'd use End, at least, that's what I think I do.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Brian is correct. Home and End will move you to the beginning or end of the entire sequence. I was seeing "clip" and thinking "sequence". Sorry about that. PageUp and PageDown will move you to the prior and subsequent edit points on the timeline respectively. Normally, that would correspond to the ends of the clip. But, if you have multiple tracks targeted, PageUp/PageDown will stop at the next edit point regardless of which targeted track the edit point is on.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Ahhh, we were all thinking alike at least, thanks for the help Brian :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 am

That's the beauty of the forum concept - continuous peer review. And it's VERY rare that little me manages to be in this sort of situation. What a great start to the day! :yh: Best wishes to all, Brian.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:12 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answer which is to use the Home & End Key.

Unfortunately, I forgot to inform you guys that I am using a Mac with the wireless keyboard. That means my keyboard is the short/small version. That also means my keyboard doesn't come with a Home or End key !! ](*,) ](*,)

But after some experimenting, I finally found that, the way to use it in this keyboard is to press the function key + the up arroe or down arrow key.

Since Chuck told me that programmer of Premiere is the same as Final Cut, why didn't he make all the shortcuts the same in both Final Cut & Premiere Pro ? They are almost similar except that in Premiere Pro must press the extra function key ...

Just like in Final Cut, to get a keyframe (ie the diamond in Premiere Pro, a circle in FInal Cut) you just click on the horizontal line of the clip in timeline. But in Premiere Pro, it is Command-Click.

Thanks guys ...
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 am

Home and End key for the Sequence, not an individual clip within that Sequence which is where Page Up and Page Down come in. Unless your Sequence is one clip (mine often are because I do lot of shows/concerts etc) in which case Home and Page Up will probably end up doing the same thing.

No Home and End key on the keyboard. Same on the MacBook Pro that I'm using now. For all the missing keys I'm using my iPhone (of course you have one!) with an app called NumPad (from Edovia) - you might want to look at it.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:00 am

Briantho wrote:Home and End key for the Sequence, not an individual clip within that Sequence which is where Page Up and Page Down come in. Unless your Sequence is one clip (mine often are because I do lot of shows/concerts etc) in which case Home and Page Up will probably end up doing the same thing.

Thanks Briantho for the detailed explanation ...

No Home and End key on the keyboard. Same on the MacBook Pro that I'm using now. For all the missing keys I'm using my iPhone (of course you have one!) with an app called NumPad (from Edovia) - you might want to look at it.

Thanks, I will download the Apps .. must be good to have ...

Yeah, I have an iPhone but how did you know that I have an iPhone ?

Hmmm ... ok Out of Topic a bit, which iPhone series I have ? Black or white ?
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 am

Actually I just guessed you had an iPhone but I'll also guess you have, like me and only for the moment, a black iPhone 4 but you're seriously thinking about an iPhone 4S..? In my case I shall be passing on my iPhone 4 to my wife (she currently has an old Nokia, how quaint!) and then I can try out Siri.

I downloaded GarageBand for the iPhone last night - stunning! I used to play the piano although not well and it's such fun to have all that musical power in my phone/GPS/MP3 player/reader/calculator/torch/camera/emergency camcorder/keyboard extension etc, etc. I might try the 'Record' button on the GarageBand app real soon and create some DVD menu music - just the right length with my attention span and creative skills. :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Kevin Monahan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:45 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:Since Chuck told me that programmer of Premiere is the same as Final Cut,

Not exactly true. Ubillos, who worked on Keygrip (AKA FCP) was on the original Premiere team but did not work on Premiere Pro; two different animals.

why didn't he make all the shortcuts the same in both Final Cut & Premiere Pro ? They are almost similar except that in Premiere Pro must press the extra function key ...

In Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5, there is a FCP keyboard shortcuts set. More info on that here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro ... 01506FBDDa
Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, & Media Encoder
Adobe Systems, Inc.
San Francisco, CA
Kevin Monahan
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks, Kevin. I was just about to mention that Ryan can customize the keyboard shortcuts to use other keys than the home and end. That FCP shortcut set for CS5/5.5 sounds like a good place to start.

I also wanted to mention that there are also shortcuts to go to the beginning or end of a selected clip (shift+home and shift+end). I seldom use those and tend to forget about them.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:Since Chuck told me that programmer of Premiere is the same as Final Cut, why didn't he make all the shortcuts the same in both Final Cut & Premiere Pro ? They are almost similar except that in Premiere Pro must press the extra function key ...

As Kevin said earlier, that was a long time ago. Now Final Cut has made major changes so I doubt the underlying structure of the program is still similar to Premiere. It was a long time ago that the programmers working on Premiere went to Apple to start Final Cut, those were the original versions long ago. There have been many similarities over the years still, some of that had to do with the way the applications were developed. There are no programmers today working on both applications I'm sure.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Premiere Pro