They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Computer won't boot

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Computer won't boot

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 pm

My Quad 6600 which has been running for about 4 years has started doing something strange for the 2nd time. With 4 sticks of memory in the machine, it will not boot. If I remove 1 stick, it will boot. If I switch the sticks around in the machine it will boot until I add the 4th chip. This happened once before. When I took the two chips out and it rebooted, I assumed one of the chips were bad. I emailed Patriot and they sent new chips. Now 2 years later, it is doing the same thing. I upped the voltage to 2.3 volts per the memory stick requirements instead of leaving the bios to automatic. My web research said sometimes increasing the mchIO voltage helps. I increased it slightly, but it did not help. I hope this makes sense. I am puzzled by the behavior. It runs on two chips, but not on 4. I would guess it is a voltage problem, but the power supply (800 watts) is more than capable. Motherboard shows power as good. Before I send these two chips back to Patriot, I thought I would give you hardware gurus a try.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Computer won't boot

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 am

Is it always the same 4th RAM slot that causes the problem? It could be that you have a bad slot on the mobo.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm

jackfalbey wrote:Is it always the same 4th RAM slot that causes the problem? It could be that you have a bad slot on the mobo.

I had this happen on a client's laptop. We thought he had a bad memory module but it turned out to be problems in the connector.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:58 pm

I will check it this weekend. But I think I can fill the "B" bank of slots and it will respond the same. I will let you know more on Saturday. Currently on the road.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Ok, so it took more than a week to get back to it. But here is what I did:

1. Removed memory from Bank A and left it in Bank B. Computer booted.

2. Switch memory that was in Bank A to Bank B. Only 1 Bank populated. Computer booted.

3. Ran MemTest86 on one set of memory for 4 complete passes. No errors.

4. Put 4 sticks of memory back into computer, failed to boot.

5. Increased ram voltage from 2.2 to 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 .... still did not boot.

6. Requested RMA from Patriot Memory. They want to change memory from originally purchased Pdc22g8500elkto the PSD22G800KH as prior package is out of production. Though I have never overclocked the machine, it was my original intent. I wanted to wait until the warranty had expired. They are offering PC2-6400 memory versus the PC2-8500 memory that I originally purchased. Also, it seems to be in a lower performance class. Any thoughts on the Patriot proposed swap? I feel that the PGS24G6400ELK or the PDC28G6400LLQK is a more comparable swap and am willing to pay the difference. I did not see Pc2-8500 memory in their online store. Is this an unreasonable position to take? I am not sure at this point.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

longshots maybe, but perhaps flashing the bios after replacing the cmos battery just for haha's, it can't hurt, and it is a shot.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Well, Patriot is going to replace the memory. After I get the new memory, if I still have problems, I will be searching for new solutions. Right now the PC runs with 2 memory chips, just not 4. Go figure?

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 pm

I know this is an old post, but I am closing it out for anyone ele that may have a similar problem. It appears that the problem was with the interaction of the memory and the motherboard. I bought high performance memory initially and it requires more voltage. When adding more chips, the problem was exacerbated. Upping the voltage in the BIOS did not resolve the problem. However, Patriot did replace the memory with a lower voltage version. Now the machine is running rock solid with 8 GB of ram. My original intention was to overclock the board, but in reality, I am more likely to just replace it when the time comes.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues