They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Win7's Fabulous But Eery/Eerie Screen Saver

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Win7's Fabulous But Eery/Eerie Screen Saver

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:35 am

Still once again, Bob has given me an epiphany, and I would like to share the discovery with those members who may not be aware of this fabulous feature of Win7: the Screen Saver in Windows Media Center.

If you've got Windows 7 Home Premium, then you've also got a version of Windows Media Center that is wildly more capable than Windows MCE2005, which is what I have on my video-editing computers. To know what version of the OS you have, go to your Start menu, right-click on My Computer and then scroll down to Properties.

If you decide to use the screen saver in your Windows Media Center program (which you open with either a remote control or your mouse by pressing/clicking the green Windows icon--the remote control is far more useful) here is what you will see IF you have previously set up Media Center by having it scan your HDDs for, for example, photos: The screen saver will show you in B&W dozens of your images, each with a white border like a paper print, and it will hover over them until it finds one that "it likes," at which time it will leisurely zoom in for a closer look. Once it has fully zoomed into a photo, the image will become transformed into (if the original is a color image) a fully-colored image. :-

The screen saver is eery/eerie not to say scary. :yh:

As it hovers over a mass of photos, it seems to be looking very carefully at each of them before deciding which is deserving of a closer look. :dance2:

Then, it will leisurely begin to zoom in toward a given photo, however, if it "sees" on the way in an image that it likes better, then it will veer off course and select instead another nearby image AND if it "really likes the image," it will pause over that particular image longer than usual. :love4:

After observing this for a while, my wife said,

"Are you connected to the internet?"

"Yes."

"Turn off your modem."

"Why?"

"Because I'm pretty sure that a live person is scanning your photos from somewhere on the internet."

I turned off the cable modem and...the screen saver continued as before .

Whew!

Yes, it's true, my wife and I have been watching the new TV show, "V," however neither of us is hallucinating. :love7:

To see for yourselves, here are Bob's directions for setting up the screen saver, which I have copied and pasted from another thread:

Bob wrote:... that's the Media Center's built-in screen saver. The default is to turn on after 10 minutes of inactivity. You can change that or turn it off completely in the Tasks> settings dialog. Go to Tasks>Settings>Pictures>Slide Show Screen Saver.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues