They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Component to VGA Connection

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Component to VGA Connection

Postby merchinax » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:48 am

How can I connect a component output to a VGA input? I have a multimedia hard drive that outputs its video signal in component. Is there any way to connect this component output to a PC montior with a VGA input?
New User

Re: Component to VGA Connection

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:12 am

Hello merchinax and welcome to muvipix. :meet:

I made your post into a new thread so that it would be easier to allow responses that related directly to your question.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:00 am

Hi merchinax... welcome to Muvipix :meet: :meet: :meet:

You can buy component video to VGA adaptors... they are inexpensive. If you are in the US look here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 12&Go.y=12
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:27 am

The component to vga adaptors that Paul mentioned probably won't work for your situation. They are generally used for situations such as found in some older hdtv and digital projectors where the device will accept component input through a VGA (HD15) connector. You need to know explicitly that that's the case before you hook up using one of those adapters. I don't believe a standard VGA monitor input will support that.

Component video uses Y-Pr-Pb encoding while VGA uses RGB/HV, you'll need a transcoding converter to connect them. There are two types. The first is simply a transcoder and the resolution in is the resolution out. The other is a converter/scaler and can accept various resolutions in and you can select specific resolutions out. This is generally what you need for a VGA monitor.

I don't use such a device, so I can't recommend one. Here are some sample sites to help you begin looking (I only did a quick search to obtain samples -- I'm not suggesting that's what you should get). http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/video-converters/component-video-to-vga-rgb-hv/c10000-c11200-c11209.html?sorter=productname-en-asc or http://www.estarland.com/product24083.html

If you can find a video capture card for your computer that accepts component video input, that would work too. I'm not aware of any though.

Good luck!
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:40 am

That is interesting Bob, the reason I recommended it is that I got a component to VGA adaptor like the ones from BH photo with my 28inch computer monitor. I have never tried it... wonder what it is for???
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:11 am

Since it came with it, it sounds like your monitor may support it, Paul. Not all do though. Especially older analog only monitors. Anything in the documentation about it?
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:40 am

Documemtation is fairly sparse Bob... just says... "Component (via VGA-Input)"
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues