They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

User32.dll avgcc.exe-illegal system dll relocation error

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

User32.dll avgcc.exe-illegal system dll relocation error

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:01 am

If, when you boot up, you get a message indicating that your user32.dll has been relocated to memory, etc., there's reason for concern -- but a temporary fix.

For some reason, the latest Windows update conflicts with a lot of software -- in particular, RealTek drivers and AVG anti-virus. It's a rather serious conflict too, because it can keep you from updating your virus information and leave your system vulnerable.

RealTek seems to have addressed this issue, so it's important to update from the RealTek site, if applicable to your system, at the Realtech site

Until AVG or Microsoft offers a fix or update, you might want to temporarily remove the update. To do so, you'll need to go to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View and enable Show Hidden Files and Folders. Then browse to your C drive's Windows folder, then $NtUninstallKB925902$. Inside this folder, you'll find another folder spuninst. Open that folder and launch spuninst to launch the uninstall.

When you restart your computer, AVG will load right up and function normally. You'll also, of course, get a Windows Security Alert on your Task Manager, telling you updates are waiting -- which you should ignore for now and, ideally, not reboot your computer.

I know that means trading off Windows vulnerability for virus protection, but unless someone else has a better suggestion, I'm not sure what else to do for now. (And this took me hours of research to figure out.)

Anybody else getting this messages and working out a better solution?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Steve. I have that update and yet WinXP, PrEl v2 and AVG starts, updates and scans without incident. I don't have RealTek audio.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:30 pm

Glad to hear that, Ken.

There is a lot of chatter on the internet about this issue, though, so I know I'm not alone.

But, regardless, I'll be interested to see how all this plays out. It's rare that I've seen such an obvious relationship: With the update, I get the error; when I uninstall the update, I get no error and AVG functions perfectly.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:55 am

If the MS Security Alert icon in the system tray distracts, select "Custom Install" and on the next screen un-check the update(s). I think it then asks you to confirm it and gives you the option to "...don't ask me about these update again". This should eliminate the icon until the next update.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:10 pm

I also got that message after the MS update. I have RealTek drivers and use AVG anti-virus. I updated my RealTek drivers and the message went away. AVG appears to be working perfectly.

I have not uninstalled the MS update and haven't run into any other problems.
Bob

Postby ed » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:35 am

This just showed up on my daughters PC. AVG seems to update and work fine though. I'll update realtek and post back what happens.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Just an FYI,

Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and has posted a patch. Here's the description: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

The patch is available through auto update or you can download it directly.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 am

Just to conclude this matter, I still couldn't get things working, even after applying the patch. Then I founda notice on the AVG site that warned that the Brio Pak (a theme pack that makes XP look like Vista) can interfere with AVG when combined with the Microsoft update. So I removed the Brio Pak and now all is well again.

Too bad though. I've never been a big fan of XP's icons and colors so I really liked the new look. But oh well.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Too bad though. I've never been a big fan of XP's icons and colors so I really liked the new look. But oh well.

Time to move to Vista I guess :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues