They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Formatting My Book Essential to NTFS

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Formatting My Book Essential to NTFS

Postby SWard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm

I'm trying to format my new 1Tb My Book Essentials hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS and am having problems.

Background: I've got a Dell XPS 600 Pentium (R) D CPU 3.00 GHz, 2.99GHz, 2.00 Gb RAM using XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP2 and I've attached my new hard drive via USB. This computer is NOT hooked up to the internet or any other computers (it's for editing only) and I haven't had to update any drivers or anything to get anything else to work on it. I've also uninstalled McAfee and have no other virus software running (I figured I didn't need it since I have control over anything connecting to the pc).

I found the drive (M:) in My Computer and right-clicked on it and selected Format. It gave me the Format window and I selected OK to format it. It gave me the window that everything will be wiped out - that's fine since I copied all the files off of it already. It then gives me the message: "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again." I click on OK because that's the only button available.

I have no other programs running and I looked in Task Manager > Processes and there's 54 processes running, but I don't know most of them so I'm leery of ending any process.

I originally had it plugged into a USB hub and thought that maybe that was causing it to be "open" so I switched it to a USB port on the pc with the same outcome. I've also rebooted many times.

Hopefully that gives enough info for someone to help, but I'm sure I forgot something. What am I doing wrong? How come I can't format my new drive?

Thanks,
Sue
Dell XPS 600; PentiumD Processor 930 w/ Dual Core (3.0 GHz,800 FSB); 2Gb RAM; 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX Video; 500Gb Performance RAID 0; 250Gb Serial ATA HD (Internal); 500Gb WD External; 1TB WD External; XP Media Center 2005 Ed SP2
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Formatting My Book Essential to NTFS

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Windows has a convert tool to change to NTFS. Have you tried that rather than format? see: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984(TechNet.10).aspx
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 pm

You can also try this:
Open the Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools, Click on Computer Management, Click on Disk Management, and then right click on the new drive and select Format.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SWard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some of the suggestions from Bob's link. Of course, I'm at work now so I'll have to wait until later.

Chuck: I did try doing it that way on Sunday and got the same results. I went into Disk Management last night and couldn't find the Format option so I thought I dreamed it from Sunday. ](*,) When I right clicked on the drive last night, all that showed was "What's this?". That's when I decided to get help from all of you guys!
Dell XPS 600; PentiumD Processor 930 w/ Dual Core (3.0 GHz,800 FSB); 2Gb RAM; 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX Video; 500Gb Performance RAID 0; 250Gb Serial ATA HD (Internal); 500Gb WD External; 1TB WD External; XP Media Center 2005 Ed SP2
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:32 am

My first thought would be a stray window open that's accessing the drive. If that's not it, you can download Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools from their website onto an internet-connected PC, move it to a thumb drive and use that to format the My Book.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SWard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:45 pm

I should have known better than to post an answer when at work and trying to remember what I saw on the pc the night before. When I right-clicked on the drive in Disk Manager, I did see other things and went into Properties. It was within that that I saw the "What's this" when I right-clicked on some things.

Anyway, thanks to the link from Bob, I tried going into Setup and couldn't figure out the correct drive. I know some things about pcs, but obviously not enough. The link also gave the suggestion of using the command prompt and typing in:

convert {drive letter}: /fs:ntfs

It did prompt me with this message: Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N).

I answered yes and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!! :-5

I have no idea what was running, but the drive seems to be working just fine so I'm happy.

Thanks for the responses and help. Now I'll be able to finish a project that a coworker asked me to do!

Sue
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Sue,
I meant to post this earlier this morning, but I was in a hurry and my head was in a fog at 4:30. I think the drive may have some junk ware on it that is being accessed by the autoplay when you start it up.

I would suggest right clicking on the drive and set the autoplay option off. Then disconnect and reconnect the drive. See if you can format it then.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues