They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Macbook

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Macbook

Postby Bob D » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:54 pm

My college bound son is going to need a laptop for school. We plan on getting him one some time around June to let him break it in over the summer. He will be going for an Engineering degree, and now proclaims he wants to purchase a Macbook http://www.apple.com/macbook/. He will be getting it with parallels http://www.parallels.com/

I haven't used a Macintosh for probably 15 years. I do remember at that time we (the place of business) tried to run a windows emulator on them with not much success. So my question to those that may have the Macbook with parallels - how well is it working for you?

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Macbook

Postby Rockdoc » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:54 pm

If he is getting an Engineering degree, he may want to check with his department to see what they recommend/require, and if there are any discounts available through them. Sometimes those engineering classes require certain programs that can only be run on one platform (usually Windows...).

Just a thought...

Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob D » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Yes, definitely a good thought. I think he is thinking that since it will have windows on it there will be no problems. This is why I'm interested in what other's experiences have been.

And I will also have him check with the department dean to be sure there is no conflict.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Bob,
Just went through this last summer. The checking with school recommendation is right on target. Not only will he be able to get the right hardware, but they also typically have software bundles at a significant bargain. The Parallel program works well enough. My daughter has a Mac Book. However, engineering is still heavily in the Microsoft camp. Most of the compilers, languages, simulation software, CAD software, etc. is not in the Mac world.

The advertising is sleek and sexy, but Mac is still more expensive and may not meet your needs.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues