They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Did Adobe hijack my computer or am I a really bad user?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Did Adobe hijack my computer or am I a really bad user?

Postby Cinde » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 am

I know this is going to be Verbose (yeah, I did look that word up ? it surely does describe me tonight - and you will understand why further down.) I?d rather give all the information I can up front so those with different expertise can have a shot at discussing this as a group. So no lurkers please, everyone join in, even those who might have similar experiences as mine and have resolved the issue or are looking for an answer. :lurk:

Let me begin by giving a history of my computer. I first received the computer in mid January, but it was damaged in transit by UPS and returned to the factory for repair. I received it back on Feb 12 or 13. The first system Restore Checkpoint after I received it back was Feb 13.

1. Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 was installed at the factory. On Feb 14 I began downloading and installing trial slide show software including PhEl5 and PrEl 3, Ulead Picture Show, ProShow Gold, and CodeJam (which I did install but did not use). I liked Elements best and after using it about 11 days I d/l and installed the DebugMode Wax plugin. Then things began to fall apart. I uninstalled Wax but was unable to resolve anything. That?s when you good folk started helping me. I have done everything you suggested but things aren?t? getting any better. I have uninstalled EVERY slide show software except Roxio, did back up point with RegSeeker, but deleted RegSeeker before I actually tried to back up to that point. (Big Mistake ? wasn?t thinking too clearly after the recommendation to install EasyCleaner). I installed EasyCleaner, but so much has happened in the last 2 days and I don?t THINK I have done anything with EasyCleaner except look around. I then went to System restore and asked to restore to Feb 13 and thought all would be well. NOT!! I received an error message to not turn off computer nor disconnect from electrical source and that the computer would shut down by itself when it was finished. So I went to bed.

2. Today when I turned on the computer I was met with a message that Adobe Photo Manger could not? something? can?t remember now exactly what it said. So I did 3 separate searches for Premier, Photoshop, and Elements and could not find anything. Then I did a search for Adobe and found 173 files on C, and 325 on removable F. Most of the ones on F were Program Files\shared_assets\templates 5 were dll: Adobelm.dll, Adobelmsvc Installer.dll, AdobeOLD.dll, AdobeUpdater.dll, and AdobeXMP.dll and several were Adobe Reader 7. I don?t think I put anything on drive F for Adobe except the downloaded file (which was installed on drive C) and the temp files for the projects I was working on (which were removed before I starting uninstalling).

3. Then I thought I might just begin deleting ALL the Adobe files. Knowing that I would also be deleting Acrobat Reader but figured I could reinstall it later. I went into the C drive and found TWO NEW Folders. The first had a lot of numbers and letters as the first folder when I expanded C. Inside the folder I found only one file: msxml4-KB927978-enu.log. I opened that and the ONLY thing I understand is the header that says: === Verbose logging started: 3/11/2007 2:45:20 and ended about a zillion lines later with: === Verbose logging stopped: 3/11/2007 2:45:26 ===

How do I explain the name of the second file, when it doesn?t have a name? it?s 10 squares then the letter S followed by 3 more squares. I kept expanding to find folders: Windows> Registered Packages> and finally a file with another bunch of numbers, inside were exe, dll, cat, inf files all of which began with wpd followed by various letters.

4. I decided to NOT remove anything else until I talked to all of you. I left the computer several hours and when I came back I decided to do another Belarc report to see if I had actually uninstalled anything between the first and second report. First report (March 9) uploaded to http://www.geocities.com/cindescooter/28Mar07.html second one (March 11) uploaded to http://www.geocities.com/cindescooter/secondreport.html
On the first report there were 11 Adobe Files and on the second there are only 6. Then I finally found something interesting. Way down at the bottom in the Software Versions I found Adobe Photo Downloader 3.0 component Version 3.0.0.66984 * and Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 5.0 *, BUT I could not find either of these files on my computer. I hope you can see what I saw when I moused over the asterisk on the Belarc Report, but just in case: Photo Downloader is a reference to a file: apdproxy.exe and Photoshop is a reference to a file: PseProxy.exe

I found both of these (and several other Adobe files)when I did a mouseover in Windows Explorer of F\Program Files. They are not inside a folder, but rather as individual files listed below the folders ? does that make sense? So I?m thinking? hummm, could one of these be the culprit that is still fouling up the cleanup?

I am going to stop here. End of verbosity ? for tonight anyway. :tongue8:
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:20 am

Cinde, I am probably way off beam here but....

....you mentioned downloads.

You probably have all of the (sadly) necessary antivirus etc. tools, but it may be worth running the scan from Panda as a 'belt and braces' double check. At least it will eliminate the virus etc. possibility (those bizarre filenames?)

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

HTH
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 am

Cinde,

Regarding your #3: That strangely named folder with the msxml4-KB927978-enu.log file within it were created by one of the the Microsoft Security Updates when it installed. You can safely delete both the file and the folder if you want.

I'm not sure whats going on with the folder with the squares in the name. The "registered Packages" folder is normally a Microsoft Windows system folder. On my system (Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2) it's directly under the C: drive and not in an enclosing folder. The "WPD" prefixed files relate to the Microsoft Windows Portable Devices (i.e WPD) interface. Sounds much like the "registered Packages" folder on my system. That folder with the squares in the name sounds a bit odd but I suppose that could vary with the Operating system installation and version. It's probably OK.

Regarding your #1: That's not an error message. It's a cautionary message to let you know that you need to let the system restore process complete.

Did you uninstall using the add/remove programs in the control panel? Photoshop Elements installs at least one system service. That should be removed when you uninstall the program. If you just deleted the folders, you probably didn't get rid of everything.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:47 am

Cinde, I have two things I can think of that will help you the fastest;
1) Get a new computer

2) Take your current computer to Best Buy or a local computer shop and have them clean it up for you.

It could take us months trying to figure out all of this in a forum. I am not against trying to do that if you want to but most people get very frustrated after the first week or two.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Cinde » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Chuck, good points - well taken. A new computer right now is not an option.

It has finally sunk in that you have tried to tell me from the beginning that my computer is not equipped for Elements.

Before and after Elements I have been successful with both Roxio and Windows Movie Maker. For now I'll have to stick with those, and take another look at ProShow Gold.

When I can afford it I'll move to a computer that will handle Elements. After all, I already have the Elements bundle, In A Snap, and this great forum.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Cinde,
If you can get your computer cleaned up, shut down all background processes before running Premiere Elements, and don't run anything else while using it, you may be able to get by. The process will still be a slow one, but it should work and might be worth a try.

Video is a serious bug, when the bug gets you there is a never ending list of things you want - starting with a new computer. I went through 3 computers before I found one that would do what I wanted with video.

There are some great deals on computers these days and any of them would be an improvement. You can still keep your same monitor, so all you need is the computer itself. You can get one at Wal Mart even for around $300, same thing for the Dell Outlet. Don't think that you have to spend $1000s of dollars, because you don't.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Cinde » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Chuck, thanks for the encouragement.

To get my computer cleaned up, I should hire someone to teach me how to format my hard drives so if I run into this again, I'll at least know how to deal with it.

Oh Gee, I don't even know HOW to ask about the dual processor. Is that something that can be added by a repair shop? If so, can they put in a second one that is identical to the current one, or is it something that will require removing the current one and installing something new?

Computer sepcs are at http://www.geocities.com/cindescooter/secondreport.html

Is there anything else that needs to be updated? Is it cost effective to do it this way or should I wait on a new computer?

Again, thanks for your patience with all my questions. Your moderator description is right on. You are SUPER!
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:39 pm

Your motherboard will not support a dual core processor and the price would make buying a new computer a better idea.

You might just want to wait on the new computer depending on how long that might be. Remember that formatting your drives will remove ALL the data, so if there is anything you want to save you need to back it up first.

Do you have any friends that are computer people?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues