They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

over clocking

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

over clocking

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm

I just bought a new Dell that can be over clocked. I can truly say I don't really know what that really means. I would like to know. I have an idea because I did do a search on it.
My new Dell is an 10 gen i7-10700 processor(8 core, 16m cache. 2.9GHZ to 4.8GHZ.) Does this mean I can speed up the processor a tad? I read that the processor will get hotter. Is processor adjustable for speed?
I do no gaming. Computer is only for PE 2021, PSE 2021 and my Digital Audio Workstation.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: over clocking

Postby sidd finch » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Overclocking is, essentially, using the settings present on the motherboard in order to have the CPU run at higher speeds than what it’s set to run by default. This comes at the cost of increased heat production, as well as potential reduction of lifespan. A good, successful overclock can grant as much as a 20% performance increase or more.

Heat is the main concern of CPUs, and too much heat can lead to a shorter lifespan for the chip. Generally speaking, once you’re CPU is consistently running at above 86 degrees Celsius, you’re starting to get into the danger zone. Temperatures like that certainly won’t kill your CPU immediately, but it could overall lower the functional lifespan. So you will need to invest in a cooling system.

The other main risk is voltage. In order to achieve higher overclocks you also need to increase the voltage provided to the CPU. Heat is one byproduct of this which is a problem, but the voltage itself could also be a problem. Too high voltage on your CPU can actually fry the chip, killing it.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:09 pm

thanks Sidd..it sounds like I should just leave things as is.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Those specs without overclocking should be fine for your use.
Peru

Return to Computer Issues