They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Requesting opinions re Yahoo Account Key

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Requesting opinions re Yahoo Account Key

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:16 pm

You'll no longer need to remember complicated passwords when you use Yahoo Account Key to access your account. To sign in, tap "Yes" on the notification we send to your mobile phone. With Account Key enabled, there's no password on your account, so no one other than you can sign in.

Voila! No more passwords. To sign in from now on, you'll just need to enter your username and click Continue and then we'll send your phone a notification to approve access.

Currently, if I was to lose my phone AND someone could bypass my 4-digit password to get in, they could easily access all my email accounts.

With the Yahoo Account Key, the individual would need to know my username, so this would appear to be an improvement.

Two questions that are not addressed in the Yahoo FAQs:

1) If I wish to log in from my computer rather than my phone, will that also require using my phone to get a key? If the answer is yes but I've lost my phone, wouldn't I be locked out?
2) What about those of us who do not pay to roam our cells when we travel abroad? How would we access our email?

:conf:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Requesting opinions re Yahoo Account Key

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Considering that Yahoo just suffered ANOTHER security breach, I might opt to step out of the Yahoo world completely.

But that's just my personal overreaction.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:08 pm

I only have Yahoo because it is required if you have a Flickr account. I only access via my computer and not my home.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Considering that Yahoo just suffered ANOTHER security breach, I might opt to step out of the Yahoo world completely.

But that's just my personal overreaction.

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

Actually, I've given Outlook my PWs to each of my Yahoo accounts so that I will have a backup place to read them. My concern is that if I use the new Yahoo Key instead of PWs then Outlook will no longer be able to back up my emails, i.e., I'm thinking to not change anything.

Agree?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues