They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Users of Yahoo Email: Resetting PWs not Enough?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Users of Yahoo Email: Resetting PWs not Enough?

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Per the article at the following link:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/yahoo-security-alert-resetting-password-183402309.html

If you're a Yahoo user, you already know that 500 million Yahoo accounts were compromised by malicious hackers, and that you should reset your Yahoo password. What Yahoo didn't tell you was that you may also need to unlink, and then relink, all the mobile devices that access your Yahoo account. .... That's because if you check your Yahoo email or Yahoo calendar on a tablet or smartphone, that mobile device is permanently logged into your Yahoo account with a unique password that's different from your regular password.

I reset my "regular password" from my desktop PC in January of 2015, i.e., after the 2014 hack.

Periodically, with regard to my Android SmartPhone, I am asked to verify my PW. I do so using my "regular password."

Therefore, I am confused by the statement that my
mobile device is permanently logged into your Yahoo account with a unique password that's different from your regular password

:conf:

Help please!
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Users of Yahoo Email: Resetting PWs not Enough?

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Hmmm...I have found that it is next to impossible to log out of my Yahoo account using a android tablet. Maybe that is what they mean by "mobile device is permanently logged into your Yahoo account"

Always logged in is stupid if you ask me. Anyone that steals my tablet would have access to that account.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:53 am

Always pin/password protect your device.

Ensure your device is registered with you OS manufacturer and enabled so that you can remotely locate it, lock it and if necessary erase it.

For example Google allows you to remotely lock the device and display a number where you may be contacted.

Ensure that anything that is of real value (bank accounts or similar) use two factor authentication - something you own and something you know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-fac ... entication
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Hmmm...I have found that it is next to impossible to log out of my Yahoo account using a android tablet. Maybe that is what they mean by "mobile device is permanently logged into your Yahoo account"

Always logged in is stupid if you ask me. Anyone that steals my tablet would have access to that account.

Yes, there is no way to log out; however, I am periodically asked to log in with my PW, which is the "regular password" that I created in Jan 2015 and that I have changed with my wired PC at least once since then, i.e. all after the 2014 hack of Yahoo, so I'm thinking I'm protected with regard to the hack. Agree?

Also, my android devices do require a PIN for access. In addition, I never check any of my bank accounts with the devices; however, I do log into Amazon with them but only through AT&T, never thru WiFi. May I assume that, although it is wireless, sending my Amazon PW via AT&T is secure? Note: I do not save any of my PWs in the browsers of my android devices; I type them each and every time.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:03 am

Chris B wrote:Always pin/password protect your device.

I've been doing that since I purchased the phone.

Ensure your device is registered with you OS manufacturer and enabled so that you can remotely locate it, lock it and if necessary erase it.

For example Google allows you to remotely lock the device and display a number where you may be contacted.

It's an LG with the android OS, but I'm not sure it's registered with Google to remotely lock it with a number where I may be contacted. Is that automatic, or must I take steps?

Ensure that anything that is of real value (bank accounts or similar) use two factor authentication - something you own and something you know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-fac ... entication

I never check my bank accounts wirelessly. With regard to checking my email, the problem with two factor is that Yahoo wants me to give my US cellular number. But I travel out of the US frequently; therefore, I'm not confident that I would be able to verify with my US cell each and every time I wished to log on to my various Yahoo accounts while outside the US.

Thanks for your reply and for the informative Wikipedia link.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Google will list your devices here:

https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity

Where you can review and lock them as necessary.

All of your logins should be encrypted so even over Wifi the passwords will not be visible. I don't know how Yahoo's 2 factor works - I don't have an account. I also don't have a US phone. I do recall us was a pain to get my Microsoft accounts activated when outside the UK - but provided I was able to roam the SMS did seem to get through.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Yahoo does have what they call an 'account key'. I suspect that your login is somehow tied to the computer and requires only your login name (no password needed) then they call you with a authorization code.

However, I check my yahoo mail many times a day and don't want the phone ringing all day long. So this 2 factor access to a mail account is too much effort for most people that look at email all day long.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues