They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Borland Database Engine

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Borland Database Engine

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:28 pm

I have an old program I'd like to install but it says it cannot because my computer (Win 7 Ult) is missing "Borland Database Engine".

I've found this info:

http://www.willneumann.net/2008/09/conf ... -windows7/

and wonder if you guys think this would be a safe thing to install. If Borland IS safe, is there any specific site that would be safer to download it from?

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Borland Database Engine

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:18 am

I remember Borland from days gone by.

It was a reputable company that has now disappeared into the mists of time (like a lot of others for example Ashton Tate).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:52 am

I liked Borland products and used many of them. Borland still exists as part of Micro Focus, but the emphasis is on enterprise application lifecycle management. Corel now has Paradox and Quattro Pro, Embarcadero has some of the software development tools (e.g. C++Builder and the Interbase database product).

The Borland Database Engine (BDE) was acquired by Embarcadero when it acquired the other Borland products, but it was already deprecated at that time. Embarcadero no longer uses or offers the product. Essentially it's a dead product and is not being maintained. There are some versions of the BDE floating around, but I can't vouch for any of them. BDE was considered safe at the time it was in use, but any unmaintained software is inherently a risk.
Bob

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:58 am

Ah, Thanks, guys! Good to know it was a safe program. Since this program runs on my old Win XP laptop, does it make sense that I should have a version of Borland on there? If so, I should be able to copy Borland from my own old machine to my new one. And then the program should run. Yes? I'll try it!
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:16 pm

BDE was probably installed as part of another application -- I'm guessing it's the one you're trying to use. BDE was designed for use on Windows XP and Windows 7 would require some changes in order to work. I googled and found this page that describes the needed changes.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 am

I was a Borland Paradox programmer years ago, back in 1986-87. They had their own programming language called PAL. That was the first database and application builder I ever used. Thanks for the memories :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:03 am

We used their database at Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, CA. I had to teach the new guys how to use it.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Wow. I'm impressed. You guys are smart!!! If I did anything to make anyone happy, or bring back good memories, that makes me happy.

I did try it. About the last thing I did before the current (almost over) migraine hit. It didn't work. I got an error message saying I didn't have "idapi32.dll" installed. Found the .dll on the internet here:

http://originaldll.com/file/idapi32.dll/6608.html

but didn't get past skimming over the instructions. Now I'm going to look over these instructions and compare them to the ones in the link Bob posted and see if they seem the same. I also don't know anything about the site "originaldll". I'll search them too before downloading anything from them.

Thanks so much to you all. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Computer Issues