They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Win 10 and old Win 7

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Win 10 and old Win 7

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:14 am

I took the bait and upgreaded to Windows 10 on the last day. I put in a new drive and did a clean install. It is running without issue. My Windows 7 installation was running with a single operating system partition and a Raid 0 + 1 for the data. When I plug the Win 7 drives back in, the machine will not boot. I assume it is because it is trying to read the boot record and becomes confused. I know that I am.

What I would like is to be able to use my Win 7 data drives with Windows 10. Any ideas on how to clean this up? The machine is 2007 vintage Q6600 processor, but there are (4) 1TB WD Black drives for the Windows 7 setup.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Win 10 and old Win 7

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Vernon,

You said that when you plug the raid 0+1 drives back in, the system won't boot. What happens? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

When you did the clean install of Windows 10, were there any other drives plugged in besides the new system drive?

Were the raid 0+1 drives data only drives or did you have Win 7 installed there too?

You should be able to use your raid 0+1 data drives in the system along with the new Win 10 OS drive. Give me some more information and we'll try to figure it out.
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 am

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I will reconfirm. But my recollection is that the Raid 0+ 1 will boot Win 7 as long as the Win10 SSD is out of the system. The Win10 will not boot when the Raid is in the system.

When I installed Win10 there were no other drives in the system.

If I recalled (circa 2007) when I installed this, I believed that I did separate the operating system onto its own drive and only the data was 0 + 1. I guess I can pull the drives and look at their serial numbers. I think the raid software will tell me which drives are involved in the raid. I will check on it a little later today.

There are 5 drives in the system. I had one drive separated from the drive cage of 4. I thought this was the system disk. But it might not be. This could explain why the strange behavior. If this drive was part of the Raid configuration, it might cause this type of behavior. But I would have thought that with a 0 + 1 configuration and it being part of the data drive and not the OS, that the system would boot and tell me that I had a failure in the Raid that needed to be rebuilt.

Also, if I remember correctly, doesn't the system normally require Raid Drivers to be installed? When I installed Win10, the Raid was not plugged in and I do not believe there were prompts to do so. The motherboard is so old, I doubt that there are drivers compatible with Win 10. The mother board is an ABIT IP35 Pro.

Thanks for your help.
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm not familiar with the Abit motherboard, but from the name it has an Intel P35 chipset. That chipset was introduced in 2007 with jives with your memory. P35 uses the ICH9R Southbridge I/O controller for raid.

If I remember correctly, Windows 10 supports raid natively and doesn't require a driver. However, it doesn't provide an interface application to setup and manage a raid array. You would do that in the bios if your motherboard supports that. Intel does have RST drivers that provide that capability for Windows. But, the version supported in Windows 10 might not support the older ICH9R chip.

New raid arrays need to be setup, existing arrays have metadata stored that describes the array so they shouldn't need to be reconfigured -- which would destroy any data on the discs.

Have you tried going into the bios and explicitly setting the boot order to boot from the Windows 10 drive first?
Bob

Return to Computer Issues