They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A Method to Keep Using Win 7?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

A Method to Keep Using Win 7?

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 pm

When you bought Windows 7 and Windows 8 (again I stress you did ‘buy’ them as they’re built into the cost of your computer) Microsoft promised to support them until 14 January 2020 and 10 January 2023 respectively. Now following the January changes, this is only true on the condition you don’t upgrade your computer to use current or future generation silicon from Intel, AMD or Qualcomm.

In short: your computer hardware must remain ‘old’ if you want to keep using Windows 7 or Windows 8 – implausible for anyone hoping to have a respectable system in 2023. Meanwhile if you buy a new computer and attempt to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it, the support will be invalid which means no antivirus or security patches. If you want a new computer you will have to use Windows 10 – the first time such a restriction has been made in the 30 year history of Windows.

For now the hardware restriction only applies to businesses, but it seems inconceivable it will not eventually be rolled out to consumers as well.

--Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/05/free-windows-10-true-cost/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix#2715e4857a0b3619d192593f

If I understand this correctly, all I need do is continue to run my "old" machines, and I'm golden with Win 7 until 2020 -- which is exactly what I was intending anyway!

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: A Method to Keep Using Win 7?

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:58 pm

George,

I'm not the one to ask about computer technicalities, but as I understand it, you are correct. The possibility of equipment failure would be/is always lurking... but beyond that, since Microsoft has fixed it so new chips to be built in future will not run Win 7, the eventual upgrade to 10 seems all but inevitable unless one switches to another OS.

Mr. B's laptop came with Win 8. I didn't like that OS because I wasn't able to dig deeply into things to try to figure out what was going on. I don't know if that has changed with Win 10.

I upgraded his laptop to 8.1. Unfortunately doing that did not resolve the "Charms Bar" fly out completely. Just about every time he went to the lower right to scroll down the blasted charms bar would fly out and his temper level off the handle with it. He agreed to me upgrading to 10 and he's pretty happy now. All he does is read the internet. He doesn't have an email address, doesn't buy anything or do any banking online, so the privacy issues aren't bad for him. So far he has not had an automatic upgrade that has caused any functionality problems.

I understand that as more people transition to smart phones and tablets Microsoft wants to be the supplier for those devices. For all of us who need something to actually run intensive programs, I hope MS doesn't decide our market share isn't worthy. You'd think if that divide is where the problem lies, they'd create two different types of operating systems. Or perhaps continue to develop Win 7 for one group and create a new, Android-ish program for less processing intensive devices.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues