They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Not Broken but Norton Wants to Fix Anyway

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Not Broken but Norton Wants to Fix Anyway

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:00 am

FIX.JPG

Should I fix something that does not appear to be broken?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Not Broken but Norton Wants to Fix Anyway

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:03 am

Should I fix something that does not appear to be broken?

I wouldn't. In fact, I turned that function off in my copy of NIS. It's wanting to run a disk defrag. I have an SSD system drive and you do not need or want to defrag an SSD.

You can turn it off by selecting "settings", "tasks scheduling", under "automatic tasks" uncheck "disk optimization".
Bob

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16 pm

I get that with Avast all the time also. Just ignore it like Bob says.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Bob,

SSD means Solid Stage Drive, right? Is that method of storing information the same as Compact Flash cards and SDXC cards?

Is it more 'worry free' in terms of having a hard drive crash?
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:38 pm

SSD stands for Solid State Drive. It is semiconductor memory similar to that used in thumb drives and Compact Flash and SDXC cards, but faster and more reliable.

SSDs do not have moving parts like a hard disk drive so no mechanical problems such as head crashes. SSDs do wear out over time (each memory cell has a limited number of times it can be written and erased). But, as long as you don't abuse the drive by doing excessive erase/writes, they should last as long or longer than a conventional hard disk drive and have greater reliability.

Video editing and photography are heavy erase/write type applications and are hard on SSDs as a result. Normally, you would use an SSD for the system drive and conventional hard drives for the media and scratch files. You can certainly use an SSD for those types of drives for a boost in performance, but realize that you will be trading disk life for performance.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:41 pm

SSDs do wear out over time (each memory cell has a limited number of times it can be written and erased). But, as long as you don't abuse the drive by doing excessive erase/writes

Does that also mean that my (so far) totally reliable Transcend and Sandisk memory cards (CF and SDXC) will suddenly fail? Will there be any warning? Should I simply replace them from time to time?
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Peru

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Same issue with memory cards. SSD drives maintain self monitoring data that can be used to assess the health of the drive just like a hard drive does. But, memory cards typically don't.

Memory cards usually don't suddenly fail totally because of memory cell wear out. Sudden inability to read or write the card are more a sign that the device's controller is defective or the card is physically damaged. (carry spare cards!) Usually what you'll see from wear out are read/write errors that occur randomly. With time, they become more frequent. You may see an error message or find a corrupted file. If you start seeing errors of this sort, replace the cards. You may even want to be preemptive and replace them when they get older. But, cards should last about the same as hard drives or even longer.

Memory cards are designed to minimize this type of damage. Cards are manufactured with extra capacity so there are spare cells that can be used to substitute for bad blocks. Some memory cells may be bad initially and are masked out at the factory. Other cells may fail during use and be masked out as they appear and spare blocks transparently substituted. The card's built-in error correction will generally prevent the errors from corrupting data. When the pool of spare cells is exhausted, the errors can no longer be masked out. Memory cards also use wear leveling to spread writes across the whole device and not just write to the same area over and over.

Avoid cheap cards. Cheaper cards are likely to have less spare capacity and the error correction and wear leveling may be less sophisticated than that used on better cards.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Bob wrote:You can turn it off by selecting "settings", "tasks scheduling", under "automatic tasks" uncheck "disk optimization".

It's already unchecked, Bob.

The two below are the only remaining checked.

Fix.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Disk Optimization was checked by default on my install. I unchecked it and haven't seen the Performance Attention screen since. I decided to leave the other two items checked -- my automatic tasks screen looks like yours. Those are supposed to run on an automatic background scan. If you click the scheduling tab (next to the automatic tasks tab) do you have "automatic" selected?

I also went into "administrative settings" and turned off "idle time optimizer".

If you don't want NIS to delete the temp files, uncheck the boxes. If you are still getting the performance attention panel after turning everything off, you may just need to click the fix now button to clear the flag.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Bob wrote:If you click the scheduling tab (next to the automatic tasks tab) do you have "automatic" selected?

Yes

I also went into "administrative settings" and turned off "idle time optimizer".

I just did that too. See below for my current Admin settings. Anything else you would change?

If you don't want NIS to delete the temp files, uncheck the boxes. If you are still getting the performance attention panel after turning everything off, you may just need to click the fix now button to clear the flag.

Admin settings.JPG
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:07 pm

I have "remote management" off, otherwise we are the same. If you don't use remote management, I would turn it off.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Bob wrote: I would turn it off.

Done! And I also clicked FIX, and it's gone.

:-5

BTW, has Microsoft ceased supporting Win7?

I haven't seen any Tues updates in a while.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:37 pm

They're still supporting it. A batch of updates showed up November 11. KB 3097877 killed Outlook and has since been reissued. I haven't applied any except for the monthly malicious software removal tool which I always run.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Bob wrote:They're still supporting it. A batch of updates showed up November 11. KB 3097877 killed Outlook and has since been reissued. I haven't applied any except for the monthly malicious software removal tool which I always run.

I was never notified, so I just checked and I've got 23 Office 2010 and 41 Windows updates available.

Apart from the malicious software removal tool, you suggest ignoring all of them?

I've just checked and Woody says:

"MS-DEFCON 2:

Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don't do it."
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Computer Issues