They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Questions about Lightroom and media backup

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Questions about Lightroom and media backup

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I currently use a single Lightroom 5 catalog for my entire collection of photos and videos. As you know, LR uses a catalog database to hold metadata for all media in the catalog but it doesn't actually contain the media; the catalog and media are separate files and they can reside on different drives.

During a Lynda tut I learned (1) most people only use 1 catalog for all media and (2) to use "File > Export as Catalog" as a means of backing up the catalog and media files at the same time. At first I thought this would be a great way to backup my photos and catalog at the same time on a BluRay disc, but then I realized my videos were also in the catalog and that would never fit on a BR disc.

Currently my LR catalog and all media files reside on a USB3 external HDD. That HDD is backed up daily to another external USB3 HDD using "GoodSync" by Siber Systems.

I'm curious if others on this site also use a single LR catalog for all media or do you use separate catalogs for work, personal, per client, etc?

And today I heard about a video editor whose home was robbed. When the robber took the computer he also took the external hard drives next to the computer. Now the victim has lost ALL of his media because he didn't have an offsite backup. This has made me want to get a 3rd drive for media that I keep offsite. Thoughts?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Questions about Lightroom and media backup

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:58 am

That's one option, Ron. Although online backup may be easier and cheaper. Especially with all of the options out there now.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:49 am

Steve, do you think it would be cost-effective for cloud backup even when I have hundreds of GB of video files? I haven't looked into online backup because I presumed it wasn't cost effective for large files, but maybe I'm missing something??
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:00 am

Dropbox charges $10.00 per month for 1TB of storage. That's 1000 GB.
LiveDrive charges $7.00 per month for 1 TB of storage.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Carbonite is $59.99 per year with unlimited storage space. The main drawback is how long it would take to do the initial backup (weeks or months), and how long to upload new large files as they're created.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:33 pm

One offsite option would be to have copies of external hard drives at a friend's or relative's home.
I own a business and keep my offsite backups at work.
Peru

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm a little obsessive about backups. I use Second Copy (thanks Bobby for the recommendation years ago here on Muvipix!) to make exact duplicates of all my files to 3 external hard drives. 2 stay here at my house and I rotate them with 1 at a friend's house. I also burn everything to Blu-rays (~50GB each) for permanent archives. I used to use Carbonite but the upload time took too long. Cloud backup is a great idea, but with around 2.5 TB of files to back up, it didn't work for me.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:22 am

Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback!!

I was considering using Bluray discs as a permanent backup (as "permanent" as anything can be I suppose) but I thought it may be overkill when also using external hard drives. Apparently I'm not the only one who has thought about that. ;)

And thanks for the info on online backup, those numbers are as I expected. I think a more durable and practical solution is to get a 3rd external hard drive for onsite/offsite rotation with the other two, and also backup the files to Bluray.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues