They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Critical Updates Today for Internet Explorer?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Critical Updates Today for Internet Explorer?

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:46 am

Microsoft pushes out massive security update for Internet Explorer
Tony Bradley@tonybradleybsg
Jun 10, 2014 12:38 PM

Six down, six to go. Today is the Microsoft Patch Tuesday for June, and it comes with seven new security bulletins. The good news is that five of the seven are only rated as Important, but one of the two Critical security bulletins—the cumulative update for Internet Explorer—is huge.

In all, the seven security bulletins address a total of 66 specific vulnerabilities. The Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS14-035) accounts for 59 of them—a record for a single Microsoft security bulletin.

That said, with 59 separate vulnerabilities in the most widely-used browser, it is an absolute certainty that malware developers will be working diligently to reverse-engineer the patches and craft exploits to target those flaws. It is absolutely imperative that you apply the patch for MS14-035 as soon as possible. [Emphasis added/]

The other Critical security bulletin this month—MS14-036—addresses a couple vulnerabilities in Microsoft Graphics component that could enable remote code execution if successfully exploited. The list of affected applications is extensive, including all versions of Windows and Office.

Review the security bulletins from Microsoft and figure out which ones apply to you. I recommend you install all applicable updates to fix vulnerabilities before malware developers figure out how to exploit them. Start with the two Critical updates—MS14-035 and MS14-036—but then move as quickly as possible to implement the rest of the updates as well.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2361507/microsoft-pushes-out-massive-security-update-for-internet-explorer.html

Question: Apart from the above, MS has checkmarked IE11, but is there any compelling reason to download it when my IE9 has been patched and is working well?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Critical Updates Today for Internet Explorer?

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:39 am

You should be OK, with the patched IE9.

There isn't a great difference in the way IE9 User Interface looks compared to IE10 and IE11. IE11 has more hardware acceleration than 9 or 10 and now extends acceleration to jpg decoding so pages should load faster. And, IE11 now prefetches web pages to speed up display of subsequent pages on the site. IE11 added support for WebGL and continues to implement more html5 features than IE9. IE11 is a better browser than IE9 and, at some point, you'll want to upgrade to IE11 or its successor. I'm not sure it's terribly compelling at this point though. I'm still using IE10.
Bob

Re: Critical Updates Today for Internet Explorer?

Postby GerryB » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 am

Having had an iPhone and iPad infested with a RAT (remote access trojan) and spent long hours sorting out the mess I was told about White Hat Aviator browser which is reputed to be designed to minimise the risk posed by trojans and virus which plague the Internet.

It is nice to get back to a browser (1990s) that only shows the 'wanted' material and not all the advertisements placed around the web page.

The only down side to the browser is that it is very US centric. Towns and cities which exist in the UK do not show in search results above those in the US when the search is originated from a UK based device. More work required!!

But I like it.
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues