They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Jerking Motion in Video

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Jerking Motion in Video

Postby videolady » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Using PREL11, I made a small video/slideshow on my work laptop to display at a trade show on a laptop. I added transitions and also simple motion to the photos by changing the scale of photos. I received a green line after rendering (so didn't see any problems) and then saved as an AVI to play.

Each photo was on screen for about 5 seconds long and each one had a jerky motion in the middle of their movement: it was like it paused for a brief moment and then jumped back into motion.

The work was done on a 4 year old ASUS N71J laptop and here are the specs from the invoice: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz (2GB+2GB), 500G 5400RPM SATA, NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M.

Is the video card the reason for the jerkiness?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Jerking Motion in Video

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 pm

AVI is less compressed than some other formats. I'd probably have saved as MPEG, which should play smoothly without a significant loss of quality. Also, you didn't say if the output file is saved to the hard drive or if you're playing it from another source such as a DVD or flash drive. This could especially be problematic if you're trying to play an AVI from a DVD or flash drive. A good combination would be to play it from the hard drive in MPEG format.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:29 pm

I agree with Dave. This is probably a better format for playing back on your computer. Like an MP4.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:10 pm

It was jerky on my laptop when I played from the hard drive as well as from a flash drive on another laptop so i will try another format as you suggested.
I just assumed to use AVI because that is what I do for all projects I burn to dvd to play on a tv. AVI is still the format to use for that type of output though, right?

Thx!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:28 pm

AVI is a good editing format for the timeline, but MPEG is an output format. When you use a program such as Premiere Elements to burn a DVD to play on a DVD player to your TV the files end up as VOB, which is really just a type of MPEG.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby videolady » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Yes, VOB. I think I get it. Thx for the lesson. Everything is so much easier when you understand!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues