They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need help with projector problem

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Need help with projector problem

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 pm

My church uses a PC and 2 projectors to display things like song lyrics and scripture verses during our services. In addition to the two projectors, the PC is also connected to a monitor so we can control what is being displayed. Occasionally the projected images have a strong greenish-cast to them, including this morning, and I need help resolving this.

From a troubleshooting standpoint it seems the problem could be the projection software, the PC video card, the connecting cable from the video card to the projectors, or the projectors themselves. Here is what I've found so far:
- Both projectors properly display color images when they are powered up (before they connect to the PC). This tells me the projectors work properly.
- When the PC is powered on the projectors display the Windows startup screens, and those projections have the greenish-cast. Since the greenish-cast is projected with and without the projection software, I don't think that software is the problem.
- The video card provides the signal to the monitor and both projectors. If the video card were the problem, it seems that the projectors and the monitor would show the same greenish-cast. However, the monitor looks great. This makes me think the video card is not the problem. (Unless the video card isn't providing sufficient signal strength to the projectors. The monitor is physically close to the sound card (2ft away) whereas the projectors are much farther away, say 100ft. And since the projectors are using VGA cables, which are analog, signal strength matters. Maybe that is the problem?)
- The two projectors are on opposite sides of the sanctuary and use different cables, so I doubt their cables are the problem (of course it could be the single cable leading from the PC to the splitting point that feeds the projectors).

I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas on a problem and fix?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Need help with projector problem

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:39 pm

The first thing you should do is reseat the cable connections at the computer and the splitter. Disconnect and connect them and make sure they are seated firmly. If the problem persists, the problem is likely to be the socket on the computer the cable plugs into, the cable that connects the computer to the splitter, or, the splitter itself.

If you can swap the monitor and the cable and the monitor is still not affected, it's not the computer or the socket. In that case, it could be the cable or the splitter, but it's most likely the cable. Can you disconnect the cable from the splitter and connect the monitor instead? If that affects the monitor, it's the cable.

You indicated this is an intermittent problem, hopefully the problem will persist long enough to definitively find the problem.
Bob

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Hey Bob, just wanted to thank you for your help. This past Sunday I removed and firmly reconnected the projector cable to the PC video card output, and voila! Green cast is gone. Everyone at church thinks I'm a genius. If they only knew!! :hyst:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Ron Hunter wrote: Everyone at church thinks I'm a genius. :hyst:

But you are. You knew enough to ask here, where Bob is the resident expert on all things in this universe. ;)
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Peru wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote: Everyone at church thinks I'm a genius. :hyst:

But you are. You knew enough to ask here, where Bob is the resident expert on all things in this universe. ;)

Yes Ron, you are a graduate of the Muvipix Genius Academy! :-D

And I wanted to add that there is another Bob (Peru) that is resident Tech expert. :-D We are fortunate to have 2 Bobs.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Computer Issues