They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Externals for back up

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Externals for back up

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 am

Any recommendations of externals for back ups? I'd like to get two 3Ts. One to keep at home and the other to store at a relative's house and then swap them out on a rotating basis.

I have an old Seagate external that I don't like. After about 10 backups it would get full and I had to go in delete stuff from backup 1 and 2 passes. The type of back up is where only the new stuff gets added each time. Would a complete back up each time be better instead of the sequential (not sure if that is the correct term.) ?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Externals for back up

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

I have read on some forums that 3T's give some people problems. I think it depends on the computer used but not sure. I would stick with 2T's for now.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 pm

I am slowly switching over to USB 3.0 and it makes backups quite a bit more efficient. I agree on the 2 TB as the 3TB are a bit too new to not have problems. I have also noticed that there are not as many choices for hard drives as there used to be. I just purchased a 2 TB Buffalo HD and it works well.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I use currently 5 different external drives. They are all Seagates. The newest one is a 4TB USB3. I use it to make system images of all my computers. I also store downloaded software on that one. I'm still not really sure about how to get to an effective backup system. :ha:

I also use a 1TB eSATA drive mostly for finished videos. Then there are 2 old USB drives, one 500gb and one 1TB. They were the first ones I ever bought and have mostly pictures and other crap I thought might be useful to keep :roll: They are very slow and a pain to use. The last one is a small portable FreeAgent Go ( 250gb ) which I really love. It always travels with me and I also use it to transfer files between computers.

My only out of the house backup is stuff I uploaded to diverse online storage sites like Shutterfly, Revel, icloud ....
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 pm

I bought an external 3TB USB3.0 WD MyBook about 6mths ago and have had no problems with it. :gl:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 pm

I don't use backup software for data backups. I do it manually.

I own about 30 external drives ranging from 80GB to 3TB. I currently only use 1TB and larger for data. The 250GB and 500GB ones are used for system images and temporary backups. I'm still trying to find a use for the smaller ones. No, I don't use them all at once. I have multiple on and off site storage for computers at home and work.

I've had two WD 3TB My Book drives fail in the past year, both under warranty. I'm staying away from them.
I don't know what brand is inside my Lacie drives, but I've never had one fail. Some are over five years old.
I like the Seagate Expansion drives as well.
The Seagate GoFlex Desk drives work well, but they stand vertically like the My Book drives and use a mini USB. I prefer regular USB connectors (USB 3.0 for those that support it) and the horizontal drives, as I have made a 'cooling and power station" with wiring harnesses for power and USB cords. Fortunately, many of the differently branded drives use a power supply with the same specifications, allowing me to require only a few power supplies.

One important thing to note:
Although all of my drives are externally powered, I can't use the USB 3 on my internal card reader for anything other than a small flash drive or it will exhibit symptoms of inadequate power.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Thank you for all of the feedback, much appreciated. Looked up the Buffalo 2T and read some reviews. I back up manually videos & photos from the new computer to the old computer. The incremental back up with software would still pose a problem of running out of room vs. manually doing a full back up on a schedule like weekly or monthly. Let it run overnight possibly. The hard part is deciding on how I want to manage the data for backups.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I have a 2TB and 3TB Buffalo USB 3.0 external hard drives for hourly backups. You can't use the 3TB on a system that doesn't support 3TB, such as Windows XP 32-bit. I corrupted the file system when I tried using it with my XP machine. It might have been okay if I had partitioned the hard drive into 1TB and 2TB, but I didn't want to do that.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Good to know RJ. The old build is 32 bit and the new is 64 bit.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:58 am

I used to use Acronis to back up my "stuff" but for the last eighteen or so months I have been using Macrium Reflect Pro.

http://www.macrium.com/

They don't offer any trial period but they do offer an unconditional guarantee (quote from their website - "If you are not satisfied with one of our software products, contact us within 30 days for instructions on obtaining a refund.")

So you can explore what it does and if not happy get your money back. There is also a free version with less functionality - full backups only, no incremental, and no disc space management. I have found their support to be exemplary.

My "stuff" on the PC looks like this:- An SSD for the opsys, a WD Raptor for work in progress and a WD 1TB for data (docs, pics, etc). All of this is backed up to an 8TB NAS configured in RAID 10 with full back ups weekly and incremental back ups daily. The NAS holds all of my bought music, videos, archived projects etc and that is in turn backed up weekly to a 4TB Seagate HDD housed in an Akasa Lokstor case.

Recently both the SSD failed as did my original WD 500GB data disc. Once I received the replacements then I was able to recover everything with minimal effort.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks John for the link and your workflow. I checked out the link and if I understand correctly, this software is used to schedule your incremental and full backups?

Backup your entire PC to a single compressed image file.
Backup files and folders to a single compressed archive file.

Does the software compress your data? Lets say I have 2T of data, what would be the compression size? Do set the parameters?

This is very confusing. If one of you lived closer I'd pay you with a hot meal, peach pie, cold beer to get something set up for me. :)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 am

Have a look at the guides/tutorials on the website. The software does allow compression and there is a user parameter that lets you specify the degree of compression.

As I said, support from Macrium is exemplary so you can always ask them.

Put that hot meal/cold beer on one side. You never know.....
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks John, I'll check out their tuts. Thanks again all for sharing your workflow/system. I'm sure I'll be back with follow up questions.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:24 pm

John, looked at their tuts and have a few questions. I am not sure if I need the standard or pro versions. If I am thinking correctly, I can do a full backup to an external and then do incremental backups.

This is for John or anyone:

My plan and please tell me of any hidden caveats I should be aware of.

Get 2 externals (duplicate copies keeping one off site) and back up the SSD C drive (160GB full) which has the software and the D drive (1.2 TB full) which has my docs & photos, videos, media, etc. The D drive does increase with the tape based projects and then I delete. Start with full back ups and then do incremental backups weekly. Each month swap out the externals. At that point should I start over with the full back up? There could be media that was deleted from the D drive. If so, how do you delete almost 2T of data off of the external?

Later when things get too full, I plan on getting 2 more externals to hold old photos and some tape based video and all the video from the SD cards and video from old family tapes. This will then free up space on the D drive.

I have been copying photos and video to my old computer's D drive which has been my back up temporarily. The Seagate external has some backup on it, but at 1T had to pick and choose what to back up.

Thanks
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:34 pm

I don't usually keep system images or clones off-site because they can only be restored to an identical machine.

I use three drives for each set of data backups:

(a) One on-site
(b) One off-site
(c) The oldest one on-site.

When it is time to back up, I do a full backup on (c) and bring it off-site and exchange it with (b).
(b) goes on-site.
(a) then becomes the oldest, etc.

In the case of data which just gets items added, such as captures or photos, I just add to (a) and keep it on-site and overwrite (delete and write) (c) and bring it off-site, etc.
If I have more than one drive worth of data, I use "vol 1" and "vol 2." Once vol. 1 is full, I don't rotate it. I just have one on-site and one off-site. Vol 2 gets rotated as above.

As far as deleting almost 2TB of data, it does take a few minutes, but just do it as you would normally delete files.

Have I confused you yet? :conf:
Peru

Next

Return to Computer Issues