They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lxsyfcic.dll - Possible Virus

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Lxsyfcic.dll - Possible Virus

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 am

Received the following error on reboot today. The file has a txt extension, but it contains binary data. Malwarebytes shows nothing. Any ideas?

VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Lxsyfcic.dll - Possible Virus

Postby Peru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 am

That may be a Lexmark driver file. Do you have any Lexmark products installed?
Peru

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 am

Sure looks like Lexmark driver. Google has some info on how to fix that error. Just google: "what is lxsyfcic.dll"
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:43 pm

I do not have any Lexmark Products which is what made me suspicious. I had seen the comments about it being a lexmark driver. However, it is referring to a ".dll". the file in the directory is ".txt" Looking at it with notepad and it looks like it possibly a binary file. Also it is the only file in the directory. So there must be something in the load sequence that is asking for the ".dll" file to be loaded, but I am not sure what it would be.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

The good news is that the dll is missing. You can check the txt file to see if it contains malware at VirSCAN.org. At the top of the web page, browse to the file on your computer and upload. The good thing about this site is that the uploaded files are scanned by multiple antivirus engines which should increase the likelihood that malware won't be missed.

Go to the control panel, uninstall a program and see if anything is installed that shouldn't be. You can click on the installed date header and sort by date to identify recent installs.

You can also run msconfig.exe and click on the startup tab to identify programs that are loaded at boot time.
Bob

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Good advice from Bob. Be sure to look for something that was installed on the 14th of Nov, 2013. That date is a clue.

I found a reference to both files here: http://contents.driverguide.com/content ... sysdrv.inf

It appears that lexmark creates that txt file but why I don't know.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Another idea...That directory in the photo of your error message is LItiton. What exactly is that second letter a l or a 1 or a capitol i or what. I took it as a capitol i but that may be incorrect.

If you can figure that one out try to google that word.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Another idea...That directory in the photo of your error message is LItiton. What exactly is that second letter a l or a 1 or a capitol i or what. I took it as a capitol i but that may be incorrect.

If you can figure that one out try to google that word.

We are thinking the same. I tried it with an I and L but did not get any hits.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

The only thing that was installed on 11/14 was the Microsoft Access database engine 2010. This is a runtime to allow people without Access to run an Access database.

The thing that is strange about this is that this is the only file in the subdirectory. It is almost like an incomplete uninstall of some program.

I looked through MSConfig and nothing looked out of the ordinary to me. I looked in the Registry and it was in the Windows/CurrentVersion/Run node. I just deleted the branch. Now I will restart the machine.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:17 am

Once I removed the registry entry, the message went away. Right now every thing seems to be functioning. It is still quite puzzling. Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep my eye on this one.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues