They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

graphics card

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

graphics card

Postby videogeorge » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:44 pm

I have a Dell XPS 8300, Intel i7 2600 processor, 8 GB RAM, 2 hard drives (one for the programs and the other for the video footage) running PE7. I often get the "premiere elements has stopped working and will shutdown" message. It seems to happen randomly, sometimes upon startup, after editing a awhile, or scrolling or dragging too fast etc. Is there a tweak or fix I can try or would a graphics card help? Any suggestions on a card or anything else would be appreciated. Thanks.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: graphics card

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:22 am

Premiere Elements 7 isn't really graphics card intensive, so it's unlikely that's at issue.

What operating system are you running? I assume, with 8 gigs of RAM, you're running Windows 7 or 8 64-bit.

Your computer might be in need of a tune-up. When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter on your system? Have you got your Windows Update set to also download Microsoft Updates?

Also, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Premiere Elements 7 was really pretty primitive in the way it handled tapeless video, especially AVCHD. I assume you're rendering whenever you see red lines above your video clips in Timeline mode?

If you are editing anything other than tape-based miniDV or HDV, it might well be worth upgrading to version 10 or later. And, to take full advantage of your 64-bit OS, maybe even version 11 or 12. You'll be surprised how much more efficient and stable the program is with AVCHD and similar video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:25 am

Has it always done this?
Are you using any third party plugins or transitions?
Did you try updating or rolling back the video driver?
Is this the only application which has been having problems?
What is your source media and project settings?
Peru

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:27 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:If you are editing anything other than tape-based miniDV or HDV, it might well be worth upgrading to version 10 or later. And, to take full advantage of your 64-bit OS, maybe even version 11 or 12. You'll be surprised how much more efficient and stable the program is with AVCHD and similar video.

Good point.
Peru

Postby videogeorge » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks Steve.

What operating system are you running? I assume, with 8 gigs of RAM, you're running Windows 7 or 8 64-bit. - Yes, Windows 7 64 bit

Your computer might be in need of a tune-up. When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter on your system? Have you got your Windows Update set to also download Microsoft Updates? - I defragment often with Defraggler, and run disk cleanup. Updates are installed,

Also, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Premiere Elements 7 was really pretty primitive in the way it handled tapeless video, especially AVCHD. I assume you're rendering whenever you see red lines above your video clips in Timeline mode? The source video comes from a Sony Z5U HDV tape based camcorder. Most footage is standard definition

If you are editing anything other than tape-based miniDV or HDV, it might well be worth upgrading to version 10 or later. And, to take full advantage of your 64-bit OS, maybe even version 11 or 12. You'll be surprised how much more efficient and stable the program is with AVCHD and similar video. I have PE 11 installed but went back to PE7 because the same thing was happening. I will revisit PE 11.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:28 pm

That camera can shoot in 3 different modes:
HDV Mode 1: (MPEG2 MP@H-14L), 4:2:0, 25Mbps (1440 x 1080)
DVCAM (25 Mbps) 480/60i (NTSC)
DV SP (25 Mbps) 480/60i (NTSC)

Exactly what mode did you import to premiere elements? If you imported mixed mode videos that could be the source of your problem(s).
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:01 am

This camcorder is also capable of shooting in 30p and 24p, which are beyond the capabilities of version 7.

In version 7, you must match your project settings to your video specs in order for the program to run efficiently. Have you done that? Your project settings are listed under the Edit menu.

If your project settings match your video settings, you will NOT see a red line above your video in Timeline mode. Is that the case in your video project?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videogeorge » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi Steve,

My project settings are:
General
Frame Size = 720 x 480 16:9,
Display Format is 30 fps Drop Frame Timecode - (no other choices)

Capture Format is DV Capture
I'm shooting in Standard Definition which I believe is 30 fps
When the video is being captured there is no red line.

Thanks
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:16 pm

So are you seeing a red line above your clips on the timeline in Timeline mode?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videogeorge » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:14 am

Hi Steve,

I'm not seeing a red line or a green line above the timeline. The only time I do is when I apply a transition. It goes from red to green when rendered. All the footage has neither red nor green.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:51 am

This is strange. You're editing a very non-intensive video format in a properly set up project on a computer that seems to have adequate hardware resources. You computer shouldn't even work up a sweat doing this!

So I'm not sure what to suggest. Sorry, George.

You may want to uninstall Premiere Elements, run CCleaner to tune up your registry and reinstall. (You won't lose any work in progress.) Maybe even delete the PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/7.0 directory completely before you reinstall.

You can also try clearing the Media Cache (by clicking the option under the Edit/Preferences/Media Cache page) and launching the program while holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys on the left side of your keyboard to rebuild your preferences file. Just in case there's some sort of corruption crept in.

But you're using a stable version of the program on a stable operating system.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videogeorge » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:15 am

Steve,

I'll try all these things and hopefully they will help. I'll let you know. Thanks very much for your assistance and suggestions
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues