They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Microsoft wants to install this

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Microsoft wants to install this

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB2858725)

Download size: 53.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 is a highly compatible, in-place update to the .NET Framework 4 and 4.5. By using the .NET Framework 4.5.1 together with the C# or Visual Basic programming languages, you can write Windows Store apps. The .NET Framework 4.5.1 delivers better performance, reliability, and security than previous versions. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=245423

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

For this reason:
muvipix 121413.JPG

I see no compelling reason to install this.

Anyone disagree?

:tx:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Microsoft wants to install this

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:35 pm

It depends on whether or not you run applications built on the .NET Framework. And, most likely you do whether you know about it or not.

.NET is both a development environment and a runtime environment for Windows applications and is very widely used by both Microsoft and third party developers. You may not be developing applications, but you will be running them. And, .NET based applications will need the runtime installed. You can think of this as an operating system extension. You normally would install the updates to this. But, treat it similar to the OS updates and let them cook a while to weed out the problem updates. On my system, this particular update does not have the checkbox enabled in Windows Update so it won't be installed yet.
Bob

Postby Peru » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 am

You could wait until an application stops working and tells you it needs it installed.
It's been my experience, however, that the .NET stuff only gave me trouble when trying to install more than one .NET update at a time.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Bob wrote:On my system, this particular update does not have the checkbox enabled in Windows Update so it won't be installed yet.

On mine, too, the checkbox is not enabled, so I have not installed it.

When you write:

But, treat it similar to the OS updates and let them cook a while to weed out the problem updates.

do you mean that, with all Windows updates, I should wait a week or two to install them, to allow time for any that are faulty to be removed by Microsoft from the list?

The reason I ask is that some advisers write that the wisest action is to immdediately install Windows updates the moment they become available, especially those that are security-related.

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
do you mean that, with all Windows updates, I should wait a week or two to install them, to allow time for any that are faulty to be removed by Microsoft from the list?

The reason I ask is that some advisers write that the wisest action is to immediately install Windows updates the moment they become available, especially those that are security-related.

Remember the security update that stopped certain fonts from working properly?
Peru

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Yes. But, keep in mind that Microsoft is inconsistent and doesn't always uncheck problematic patches. I'd recommend visiting askwoody.com before applying to the patches. Woody is generally pretty good about identifying widespread problematic patches. If a problem patch is identified that isn't unchecked, manually uncheck it before applying the rest.

The reason I ask is that some advisers write that the wisest action is to immdediately install Windows updates the moment they become available, especially those that are security-related.

It would be nice if we could do that. But, this year has been a mess for Microsoft and many bad patches have been released -- including some security patches.
I try to apply security patches a little faster than other patches, but I still wait a short while. It's a tradeoff between security and stability. I also keep my antivirus software current.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Whoa!

Here is what I just read on http://www.askwoody.com/

In the highly unlikely event that you left Automatic Update turned on, now would be an excellent time to turn it off!

Eleven patches are coming - five of them critical – with several Office patches thrown in for good measure.

I’m moving us to MS-DEFCON 2: Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don’t do it.

Chuck or Steve, please make Bob's post a stickie on the Computer Issues page.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 am

I'll let that be Bob's call.

I think there's a real liability with not installing patches and updates also -- and I'm not sure about turning off automatic updates as a rule. It really does more good than harm, in my experience. And I think overreacting can cause a whole other set of problems.

But I bow to Bob's wisdom and experience on this. I know most highly-skilled IT people are careful about installing updates. But for us regular joes, I think leaving automatic Windows and Microsoft Updates on is a good idea.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:22 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Chuck or Steve, please make Bob's post a stickie on the Computer Issues page.

As a Moderator, I would like to make the entire thread a stickie, as it contains the valuable views of both Bob and Steve.

But I can't remember how to do it.

Please remind me.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Just click the Edit button on the first post and, on the next page, select the Sticky option.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:29 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Just click the Edit button on the first post and, on the next page, select the Sticky option.

And then click Submit?

Should it then have an "i" instead of the original "?"
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:22 am

Looks like it's a sticky now, George. So either you did it right or someone helped you out. ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:10 pm

If you want to have an "i" instead of the original "?", edit the original post and change the post icon.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:24 am

Bob wrote:If you want to have an "i" instead of the original "?", edit the original post and change the post icon.

Done!

::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues