They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cloning your GPT disks with Acronis TIH 2013

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Cloning your GPT disks with Acronis TIH 2013

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 am

Because they have larger capacity than Master Boot Record (MBR) disks and work better with 64-bit systems, manufacturers are now providing GUID partition table (GPT) disks with their machines.

Problem is, the latest build, 6514, of Acronis TIH2013 does not support the cloning of GPT disks, whether from within Windows or from either Linux-based or WinPE-based rescue media.

Given that we cannot peform either a backup/restore or a clone on GPT drives using the 6514 rescue media, here is my workaround for creating a clone of my internal Drive 0:

--Using ATIH2013 build 6514 in Windows, back up the primary GPT disk to an external USB HDD
--Recover the backup to a second internal GPT disk

I am composing this post with the second disk, which was Disk 1 but is now Disk 0. As may be seen from the attachment, Build 6514 does support EFI GPT disks when used from within Windows 7. (The file shows the information that I received as I began the recovery from the external HDD to a second internal HDD.)

To boot with the clone internal HDD, Drive 1, all I had to do was to unplug former Drive 0.

Time to Clone is Not Increased

Please also note that, because Acronis recommends always creating a backup of Drive 0 before attempting to clone it, this method doesn't actually require any additional time to produce the clone.

GPT.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues