They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Will my Win7 discs works on a new machine?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Will my Win7 discs works on a new machine?

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm referring to the System Recovery discs that I created when I first got the machine in my signature.

Even better, will the clone that I made of my current C drive work on a new machine? I'm assuming that the new machine would need to be identical (CPU, motherboard, video card, RAM, etc.) for that to happen, but I see that Acronis states it can recover an existing backup (not a clone) to an entirely new machine. Is that correct?

:conf:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Will my Win7 discs works on a new machine?

Postby Chris B » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 am

It depends. If the Windows 7 installation was an OEM version then the licence is not transferrable to a new machine and you'll need a new copy. If it was simply a "retail" version then you can install to a new machine - provided the old machine is decommissioned and not used. You'll probably need to get hold of Microsoft to activate on a new machine.

Don't know about Acronis though...
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 am

Sort of...

The Acronis Universal Restore feature can restore a backup image to a system with different hardware by replacing the hardware abstraction layer and mass storage drivers, but it's only intended to get to the point that you can boot from the restored drive. From there, you will need to install any other needed drivers yourself. See: http://kb.acronis.com/content/2149 for an overview. I haven't tried it. If I'm remembering correctly, you need to have the new drivers already. There is a network search feature, but I'm not sure how well that works.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 am

Bob wrote:Sort of...

The Acronis Universal Restore feature can restore a backup image to a system with different hardware....

Whoa! The idea of being able to move my current system to new hardware--no need to perform a clean install--whenever my current hardware goes bad is, in a word, breathtaking.

I do realize that MS will eventually cease to support Win 7 (when?) but when that happens, thereby making my machine vulnerable to hackers, I could simply take it offline and use it exclusivly for editing creations.

Do I understand you correctly that the only potential impediment to changing hardware is the need to update drivers? Its' the drivers that make the motherboard, video card, etc. work with whatever software one uses?

Also, what about Chris B's thought that the version of Win 7 that I am using now is OEM and intended only for use with my current machine? Is using the Acronis feature going to circumvent that issue?

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:53 am

There are two aspects to consider. 1) the hardware abstraction layer (the interface between the hardware and the OS) and drivers, and 2) activation and license. The universal restore only relates to #1. #2 is more complicated.

When you install the OS, you enter a product key. This key identifies which release of Windows it is, which edition, and whether it's OEM or retail etc.. In addition, when you activate the OS the first time, a binary signature is created using various hardware attributes of that specific PC (cpu, amount of ram, mac address of the network card, boot drive serial number, etc.). Each time you boot, the signature is verified. The verification algorithm allows for some change in the hardware over time, but too much change will deactivate the OS and you will need to reactivate. The activation server knows what type of licence you have from the product key and may deny activation. In which case, you will need to call Microsoft to activate and they may deny your request if it doesn't meet their criteria.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Bob wrote:There are two aspects to consider....

As you know, I already have "backup hardware" for my machine that I aquired from HP (motherboards) plus a second new-in-the-box i7-930 cpu. I am in the process of also acquiring a backup video card from hp.

Is it possible that, if I someday need to replace some of those hardware components in my existing machine, MS will give me a hard time with regard to using the OEM OS?

If so, could I get around that by purchasing a boxed copy of Win 7 and giving MS its serial # but not actually installng it, thereby avoiding the agony of a clean install?

:?:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Is it possible that, if I someday need to replace some of those hardware components in my existing machine, MS will give me a hard time with regard to using the OEM OS?

It's possible, but I don't know how likely that will be. The algorithm does allow incremental changes over time, but should the hardware change cause the signature check to fail and deactivate the OS, you'll need to contact Microsoft. You'll need the existing Product Key -- it should be on the Microsoft sticker on you HP PC. Given that the change was a repair to replace failed components, not replace the system, they should allow activation.

Should they refuse, if you have an unused boxed copy that matches the edition you have installed, you should be able to use the product key from that. The Windows Activation dialog box should have a field where you can enter the new Product Key. You might be able to get a replacement Product Key from your computer manufacturer or buy one from Microsoft for $10. I'm not sure how Microsoft treats preinstalled commercial PCs -- they usually want you to have the original disc and they want to verify. Did you get a Windows disc from HP?
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Bob wrote:Did you get a Windows disc from HP?

Immediately upon deciding that I would be keeping the machine, I created a complete set of discs; however, I sincerely hope that I never need to use them for a clean install.

At the moment, I have both a number of backups made with Acronis plus a clone of my C drive (like Chuck suggested a while ago).

But my understanding is that, if any of my spare hardware components are not identical to what is in the machine now, neither the backups nor the clone may work. In other words, if I need to replace anything other than my C drive, I may not be able to avoid a clean install.

Is that correct?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:38 am

Those discs are fine for installing from scratch, but they won't work for validation with Microsoft to get a new key. The best bet would to see if HP would supply one if you need it.

Windows 7 autodetects hardware changes at boot time so there is a good chance that you will be able to boot into the OS. Try to get a similar motherboard. It doesn't have to be an exact match, but you shouldn't drastically change the cpu/chipset architecture.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Bob wrote:Try to get a similar motherboard. It doesn't have to be an exact match, but you shouldn't drastically change the cpu/chipset architecture.

According to Jonathan, my trusted adviser at Fry's City of Industry, the two replacement motherboards that he got for me are exact matches; however, only time wil tell whether, if ever I need to replace the original, either of the two replacements will stll be viable after sitting around for a while.

Thanks still once again for sharing your expertise.

[-o<
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Bob wrote:Should they refuse, if you have an unused boxed copy that matches the edition you have installed, you should be able to use the product key from that. The Windows Activation dialog box should have a field where you can enter the new Product Key.

I've found a copy Win7 Home Premium with SP1 new in the shrink-wrapped box, but the seller has the following disclaimers:

Please note: This is a Full Version Genuine DVD & License - it requires a full installation (meaning that the hard drive in your PC needs to be completely reformatted prior to installation). This is not an Academic/Trial/Upgrade/International/or some other Strange Version seen a lot on Ebay, this is a Full OEM System Builder Version. Comes in SEALED OEM Packaging and includes a Genuine Microsoft Hologram DVD and License. It also includes Service Pack 1 & is made in USA.

Disclaimer: Microsoft's Distribution Agreement for System Builders states that the system builder software packs are not intended for distribution to end users unless the end users are acting as system builders by assembling their own PCs. A "system builder" is anyone who assembles, reassembles or installs software on a new or used computer system.

Required Ebay and Microsoft Disclaimer: A piece of non functional hardware (HARD DRIVE) will be shipped with the software package in order to comply with Ebay and Microsoft policies

Not sure what all that means.

When you have time, please decipher.

Okay to buy with those disclaimers?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 pm

The disclaimers don't mean much, as far as the system working, assuming the seller is legitimate.

This will either answer your questions, or make you more confused:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok ... osoft/1561

See the link within the article, too:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/oem-lice ... ft-com/535

The big differences is that the OEM version can't be moved to another computer - it's valid only for the first computer on which it is installed - and that it carries no "user support" from MS.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost of the software?
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Peru wrote:The big differences is that the OEM version can't be moved to another computer - it's valid only for the first computer on which it is installed - and that it carries no "user support" from MS.

What I want is a copy of Win7 Home Premium that I can legally move from one machine to another as the years go by. What is the correct name for that software?

Out of curiosity, what is the cost of the software?

$91.00
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Fry's is still selling new OEM Windows 7 with SP1 both online and in the store. The City of Industry store has them in stock. They also sell the non-oem full packages.

Microsoft does not require that you buy Windows 7 OEM with any form of hardware. The only requirement is that the package be sold to a system builder (which could be an end user that builds their own system) unopened. Microsoft uses a "break the seal" agreement that binds the system builder to the OEM license.

Windows 7 should continue to be available for some time. Microsoft has not yet set the end of sales date. See this lifecyle fact sheet: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

Take a look at this Windows 7 OEM licensing FAQ. There is a question there that directly addresses whether you can replace the motherboard and use the same OEM/preinstalled OS. From that page:

"Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?
A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer–except the motherboard–and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 am

Bob wrote:Fry's is still selling.... .... "If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

Thanks for the very relevant information, Bob.

I'm getting fabulous performance from my "marriage of the 7s" (Win7, i7 and PRE7), and it's nice to to know that, for as long as my hardware replacements remain viable, that marriage can continue.

In the event it does ever occur that my current hardware and the replacements have gone kaput, I've also purchased a full version of Win7 Home Premium with SP1 from Fry's, which you mentioned.

Do I understand correctly that I can legally install that OS, albeit on only one at a time, on as many machines as I may need to purchase as the years go by? I realize that MS will eventually cease to support it, but when that happens my plan is to simply take my editing machine and software offline, where the lack of support will not matter. Do you see any problem with that plan?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Computer Issues