They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adobe fonts missing after reload

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Adobe fonts missing after reload

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:41 am

I recently fought a BSOD problem that in the end got the best of me and I made the decision to wipe and reload. Not a minor decision, as it took 3 days of my time doing this. Everything actually went smoothly and I'm pretty much back to normal. The good news is that it did solve the BSOD problem.

The only Adobe products which I had installed (that I am aware of) were Premiere Elements 7, 9, & 10, plus the usual Reader, Flash, Air, and Shockwave. All of these were reinstalled. Today I went back into an older PrEl 7 project to make sure that everything was there, and found that one of my titles was missing a font that I had used - Adobe Casion Pro Italic. When I went looking for it I discovered that there were a number of Adobe fonts missing. I remember having maybe a dozen or so fonts with names like "Adobe Casion Pro". I didn't purchase any fonts separately, so they would have had to have been installed along with something else. Does anyone have any idea where I might have picked these up along the way? I'd really like to have them back, as I recall them being unusual and nice to have around.

One other note...at one time I MAY have had PrEl 2 installed on this machine, but I'm not positive. It may have been on my old system. At any rate, it would have been uninstalled several years ago. I really doubt that these fonts came from V2.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Adobe fonts missing after reload

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 am

Do you have another computer? If so, you can copy from the Fonts folder from one machine and paste into the Fonts folder of the other machine.

Also see here:
http://www.fontpark.net/en/font/adobe-c ... ro-italic/
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 am

Peru wrote:Do you have another computer? If so, you can copy from the Fonts folder from one machine and paste into the Fonts folder of the other machine.

Also see here:
http://www.fontpark.net/en/font/adobe-c ... ro-italic/

If the fonts I need were there that would be great, but they're not. I don't know where they came from. In retrospect I should have included the fonts folder in my regular backups, but it was one of the few things that I missed.

That's a great font site Peru! Thanks!
:tx:

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 am

After searching Peru's site for "Adobe" and reviewing the results, I'm still not recognizing any others as being what I had before. I still have to wonder where that group of Adobe fonts came from.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Dave,

Do you have a backup that contains the program files?

There are two ways that fonts can be installed. They can be installed to the system fonts folder and be available to all applications. Or, they can be installed as a private font to an application specific location where they can be loaded and used by the application. Adobe Caslon Pro is one of those fonts that are installed the second way. It's a private font, not a system wide font, and is available only to Adobe applications.

You have Windows 7 64-bit. For that OS, the private Adobe fonts are stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts". They should have been put there when you installed the Adobe application. They may have been on an separate content disc. Did you install all of the optional content discs?
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Bob wrote:Dave,

Do you have a backup that contains the program files?

No, just data, media, project files, etc. I figured that I could always reinstall the programs.

There are two ways that fonts can be installed. They can be installed to the system fonts folder and be available to all applications. Or, they can be installed as a private font to an application specific location where they can be loaded and used by the application. Adobe Caslon Pro is one of those fonts that are installed the second way. It's a private font, not a system wide font, and is available only to Adobe applications.

You have Windows 7 64-bit. For that OS, the private Adobe fonts are stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts". They should have been put there when you installed the Adobe application. They may have been on an separate content disc. Did you install all of the optional content discs?

Okay, I went looking and I have no such folder. Version 7 doesn't have a separate content disc, nor does V9. V10 does, but I already did that installation. It's good to at least know where they ought to be. I just still can't figure out where they came from the first time. :-k Thanks for enlightening me on that point Bob.

Dave McElderry

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Dave, I have those fonts. Do you want me to upload them for you? If you do, send me a PM with your email.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 am

Dave,

Both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements should have installed fonts. Many of those, such as Caslon Pro, are installed by both applications. But, in general, I don't know specifically which fonts are installed with which application. I have 108 Adobe Open Type (.otf) files in that common font directory. I have Premiere Elements 7, but I also have Production Premium CS5. Some of those font files may have come from Production Premium. I looked for Caslon Pro and found it in the common font directory as well as in the system font directory.

I don't know why your fonts weren't installed along with the application. I normally install Adobe products with virus protection turned off and use the "run as administrator" option to execute the installer.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 am

Bob, they're there! I just checked again, and in the process I realized that I had followed the wrong path looking for them. I had left out the "common files" folder. Sheesh. ](*,) Now I'm off to figure out why they're not available to my projects. Thanks for the trouble.

EDIT: Well, I just copied them over to the regular Windows fonts and they seem to work. I did make a copy of the Windows fonts folder just in case.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:09 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Dave, I have those fonts. Do you want me to upload them for you? If you do, send me a PM with your email.

I appreciate your offer, but I guess it shouldn't be necessary now (see above). Thanks!

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm glad the fonts were there. It's odd that you had to manually copy them to the system fonts folder though, that shouldn't have been necessary. That does make them available to all applications, though.

Just for curiosity's sake, do you have a file with a ".lst" suffix at "C:\Users\loginid\AppData\Local\Adobe\Fonts"? Substitute your Window login id for "loginid". It's in a hidden directory, so make sure you enable viewing hidden files. If you want, you can open that file with Wordpad, it's just a text file and contains the names and properties of the Adobe fonts and their location.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Bob wrote:I'm glad the fonts were there. It's odd that you had to manually copy them to the system fonts folder though, that shouldn't have been necessary. That does make them available to all applications, though.

Just for curiosity's sake, do you have a file with a ".lst" suffix at "C:\Users\loginid\AppData\Local\Adobe\Fonts"? Substitute your Window login id for "loginid". It's in a hidden directory, so make sure you enable viewing hidden files. If you want, you can open that file with Wordpad, it's just a text file and contains the names and properties of the Adobe fonts and their location.

Yes, I actually have two of them:

Adobe Fonts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave McElderry

Return to Computer Issues